VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 10:53:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: xfce - Mixer  (Read 3959 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 15, 2007, 04:53:04 am »

The xfce-mixer doesn't include any useful points that I wish to adjust on my sound card...

in alsamixer <analog F> is the output I'm looking to control in xfce-mixer is there a way I can add it?  I can't seem to make any changes whether in terminal or via the gui.  I'm guessing I just need to locate a file and change it, I just don't know which one or what directory to find it.

This is related but another question...

On my computer I have two sound cards both function(Nforce2 integrated / Creative Audigy 7.1 24bit expansion card) I installed the creative one because the built in nforce2 always had a hum and static in the background for playback.  In windows that is, I haven't tried it in Linux.  The Audigy card in windows has great sound and supports my 5.1 setup.

Since making the leap I haven't been able to enjoy 5.1, I only get playback out of <analog F> this has been the case in the 100+ distro's I've tried.  Is there a way to make 5.1 work or is it just like ATI in the case that the driver support isn't available for the hardware, and if thats the case what sound card would natively support 5.1 surround in Linux?

Ask Yourself

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:46:03 am »

in alsamixer <analog F> is the output I'm looking to control in xfce-mixer is there a way I can add it?  I can't seem to make any changes whether in terminal or via the gui.  I'm guessing I just need to locate a file and change it, I just don't know which one or what directory to find it.

kmix is a more comprehensive GUI mixer, I believe. I simply use alsamixer, but there again I spend much of my time in the terminal window.

On my computer I have two sound cards both function(Nforce2 integrated / Creative Audigy 7.1 24bit expansion card) I installed the creative one because the built in nforce2 always had a hum and static in the background for playback.

You may have an earth loop, in which case you might have more problems than static. Sad

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:00:52 am »

I'm assuming when you say earthloop your refering to my nforce2 chipset, I'm not sure...its a gigabyte board GA-7N400 Pro.  what does kmix need to run?

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:09:25 am »

perhaps the mixer is attached to your onboard soundcard? If that is the case, you should follow the Headeacher howto and change your default card. I had to do it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:46:17 am »

The onboard is disabled via the BIOS.  Which should mean that no input or output could affect that hardware.  That was always the effect in windows.  Can Linux some how supersede the BIOS control over hardware?

The mixer only has:

Mic
line1
Digital1
Phonein
PhoneOut

I also get an error when I open it.

Code:
** (xfce4-mixer:3256): WARNING **: oss: could not find control that the new recording source refers to. Not setting it

I've been getting this error since day one with RC3.

I checked out the howto you pointed me to...

Code:
cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_ca0106

Also the digital1 setting in the mixer affects my card by either muting it or un-muting it, figured that out when I first started using rc3 and had no sound after a fresh install. 

So I believe its connected to the right card.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:12:38 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:36:06 am »

You are right. Could you please post the output of lspci, so we can know the exact model of your sound card?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:57:38 am »

This is the card and I bought it, and from the place I bought it.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX10326(ME).aspx

As for the specific chipset, I don't know if it is what it appears to be.  Or if its a creative branded card with a different manufacturers chipset.  how would I obtain that info?  I know from my experience in getting my wi-fi to work in linux. it seemed more important to know your chipset then than the model of the card.

how do I get the
output of lspci
in other words what do I type, or where do I find it?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:02:07 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:00:46 am »

This is the card and I bought it from here.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX10326(ME).aspx

As for the specific chipset, I don't know how I'd obtain that info, but I know from my experience in getting wi-fi to work in linux. it seemed more important than the model of the card.

how do I get the
output of lspci
in other words what do I type, or where do I find it?

Type /sbin/lspci in a Terminal and post the output here.

--
Jumalauta!!
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 10:03:23 am »

I think thats my first sbin I've excuted Smiley

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?) (rev c1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev c1)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
01:07.0 Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11) (rev 11)
01:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
01:0d.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
01:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600] (Secondary)

COOL.

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 10:51:04 am »

hmm, I can't find anything about your sound card and mixers, does alsamixer works properly?
Open a terminal and type alsamixer, play with the setings, use 'm' for unmute channels. If that works we should focus in the xfce plugin, I think.

--
Jumalauta!!
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 11:26:52 am »

As posted above, yes alsamixer works and thats what I'm currently using it in the terminal to adjust my sound playback. 

The reason I thought xfce-mixer was on the right card but not setup correctly, is xfce-mixer has a scroll bar labelled as  "digital1" when I change it either to top or bottom (meaning it controls a digital setting as opposed to an analog setting). I do this with alsamixer open in the terminal and visible.  This action will mute or unmute my sound card and in alsamixer change  the setting <IEC958> from 00 to MM or viseversa. 

The setting I want to control is labelled <analog F> in alsamixer but has no counterpart in xfce-mixer.

Do you know how to edit the plug-in? because I agree with you in the idea that our focus for resolution will probably be found there.

Thats the main issue as I'd like to have control of my sound with an icon on my panel as in VL RC1.

The second issue is one I've had in every linux distro I've used, I have 7.1 sound I have 5.1 speakers, I can only get sound through <analog F> through  C F and R all have settings, but I've taken my head phones and plugged in jack by jack as I'm playing music and nothing comes through anything other then the F out put.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:30:13 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 01:19:52 pm »

As posted above, yes alsamixer works and thats what I'm currently using it in the terminal to adjust my sound playback.

Ohh, sorry, I forgot Sad

The reason I thought xfce-mixer was on the right card but not setup correctly, is xfce-mixer has a scroll bar labelled as  "digital1" when I change it either to top or bottom (meaning it controls a digital setting as opposed to an analog setting). I do this with alsamixer open in the terminal and visible.  This action will mute or unmute my sound card and in alsamixer change  the setting <IEC958> from 00 to MM or viseversa. 

In any case, you should be able to pick another mixer in the volume control properties (right click) to match your sound card mixer. I found alsamixer overrides my xfce mixer and has more controls. Muting some channel  has no fix from xfce and I get no sound at all.

The setting I want to control is labelled <analog F> in alsamixer but has no counterpart in xfce-mixer.

Do you know how to edit the plug-in? because I agree with you in the idea that our focus for resolution will probably be found there.

Thats the main issue as I'd like to have control of my sound with an icon on my panel as in VL RC1.

The second issue is one I've had in every linux distro I've used, I have 7.1 sound I have 5.1 speakers, I can only get sound through <analog F> through  C F and R all have settings, but I've taken my head phones and plugged in jack by jack as I'm playing music and nothing comes through anything other then the F out put.

I really don't know about that. I think you should be able to get 5.1 using a .asoundrc file, but I never did it by myself.
I searched xfce wiki and forums and I can't found something useful, sorry. I have no other suggestion than play with the properties of the volume control applet, perhaps you want just to link the button to another mixer.

--
Jumalauta!!
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 01:50:17 pm »

I'm not trying to be dense, I don't get how to change mixers and set it up.
In any case, you should be able to pick another mixer in the volume control properties (right click) to match your sound card mixer. I found alsamixer overrides my xfce mixer and has more controls. Muting some channel  has no fix from xfce and I get no sound at all.

Are you saying download and install something like kmix? I just don't get how to tie it to my card, and all the playing with my sound settings has possibly caused me to loose sound on websites, like youtube.

Amarok xmms, and xine still have sound but websites do not. though they have video, I'd also mention this could be my own fault well I was trying to install vlc things started acting up, and I still can't get it to work...I've dropped it as something I want to run after all the issues I've had in trying to get it going.  Just saying this 1a - problem is probably me installing software related.  Also in getting quod libet to work, I installing all the gstreamers, and playing with mplayer.  So the website thing might be a result of all that, as I didn't checked it prior to today but it was working upon a fresh install as I use youtube to test my sound video plug-in and internet connection.

The second issue is one I've had in every linux distro I've used, I have 7.1 sound I have 5.1 speakers, I can only get sound through <analog F> though  C F and R all have settings, but I've taken my head phones and plugged in jack by jack as I'm playing music and nothing comes through anything other then the F out put.

I really don't know about that. I think you should be able to get 5.1 using a .asoundrc file, but I never did it by myself.
I searched xfce wiki and forums and I can't found something useful, sorry. I have no other suggestion than play with the properties of the volume control applet, perhaps you want just to link the button to another mixer.

Where do I put .asoundrc file? is that in my rc.local settings?  and how do I program it?

Ask Yourself

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 02:45:29 pm »

I'm not trying to be dense, I don't get how to change mixers and set it up.

well, I don't know either and perhaps this applet needs some work from xfce devs. Right click on the speaker icon, go to properties. Here you can change the mixer, I have two, one for my on board sound (/dev/sound/mixer) and one for my usb webcam mic (/dev/sound/mixer1).  Also with CTRL + O in the volume control window (left click in the speaker icon) gives you some mixer settings.
Are you saying download and install something like kmix? I just don't get how to tie it to my card, and all the playing with my sound settings has possibly caused me to loose sound on websites, like youtube.

I have alsamixer linked to that button Smiley. Right click, properties, write alsamixer (or whatever) on the 'when click' text box.
The website problem is surely a slider muted or in a zero level. Raise up the slider in alsamixer. I realized not every channel show up in other mixers, so alsamixer is the safe way. I had this issue as well.
Those failed attempts to install audio apps could harm some libs, but rarely alsa ones or a sound card, imho.  Keep in mind you can file a package request at the proper forum, don't be shy Wink.

Where do I put .asoundrc file? is that in my rc.local settings?  and how do I program it?

Surely I will have to learn that too when I get the time Sad, perhaps something else can help us Huh
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:48:02 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 03:23:29 pm »

I assume you've clicked on the volume icon in the system tray, bringing up a Volume Control screen. Click on File menu, Options. There may be more controls you can adjust than show up on the default Volume Control screen.

I see that lspci identifies your card as an Audigy LS. It should use the ca0106 ALSA driver. You can read about it here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-ca0106

There is a sample .asoundrc file at that Web page. It goes in your home directory. You may already have one and won't see it unless you tell your file manager to display hidden files.

This may no longer apply, but I used to have a Creative Audigy LS card in one computer and that card caused me a world of hurt. The ALSA driver was very poor. This was some years ago and hopefully the present driver is improved. Actually, the sound card had hardware problems and eventually I replaced it, so it may not have been the driver's fault entirely or at all. I have 2.1 speakers, so I don't have any experience with configuring for 5.1 speakers.

The card worked fine in Windows for a couple of years but was always a pain in the rear in Linux. Eventually it stopped working entirely in Linux. At around that time, I got some spectacular crashes in Windows XP as the OS was loading. I was able to determine that the crashes were related to sound, so I finally got the bright idea to remove the card. Lo and behold, the crashes stopped. So given the card's failure in Linux and its crash history in Windows, I left it out and switched to my onboard sound instead. No problems with Windows or Linux after that.

I hope today's driver is better and you get your 5.1 sound.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: