VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 03:02:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buring Bootable CD with Graveman  (Read 2187 times)
Woody_in_MN

« on: December 15, 2007, 04:13:33 pm »

Should I be able to burn a bootable iso cd w/ Graveman?  I can not seem to do it.  Or is "VL5.8-SOHO-final.iso" not a LIVE (bootable) image?

Thanks,

- W
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:07:14 pm »

You should be able to burn a bootable cd with graveman.  The iso file you reference is not a "Live" cd (by definition) but it IS bootable.  Here's a link that may help: http://eclecticmonkeyworks.com/?p=5
Woody_in_MN

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:26:17 pm »

Right - I realize now that the ios I had was an install only.  I am downloading the LIVECD right now.  I was able to burn the other iso as bootable under img burn under Win XP (oh the irony of it).  Maybe I have an older version of Graveman.  I am also trying to down load K3B - which I have used before under kde - K3B seemed a lot more straight forward to me.

Thanks for the reply.

- W
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:39:16 pm »

The bootability of the cd is contained within the ISO so as long as your burning program can burn an ISO then the resulting cd will be bootable - assuming the ISO was created in such a fashion.  You should have been able to use any burning software you like ('cdrecord' from command line included) and it would have been bootable.  Anyway, all that's not really important.  I do like imgburn though Cheesy - dvddecrypter as well.

K3B should come "stock" with VL soho.  If you want it on Standard then it requires the kdelibs package as well (I think it's kdelibs... maybe it's kdebase or some such thing).  Anyway, it sounds like you're well on your way.  Hope you enjoy the live cd.  If you do and decide to install it, I would highly recommend installing from the intial iso you burned as that's its sole purpose (to be installed to run).

Cheers!
Woody_in_MN

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:49:16 pm »

After I installed k3b - burning an iso was a snap.  I actually installed VL SOHO today, but had trouble getting my sound system (ALSA) to work.  I got tired of monkeying around with it - so I went back to PCLinuxOS 2007 - which I had been using before my trek into VL.  I did find VL standard pretty stable.  A lot more configuration stuff than what I'm used to - but I'm a sucker for faster boot times (thanks to Xfce).  I'll probably stew over whether I stay with PCLOS, which is really hard to find fault with, or get tempted by the slightly quicker boot times that VL Standard gives me.

One things for sure - K3B rules.

Thanks,

- W
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:03:41 pm »

A lot more configuration stuff than what I'm used to - but I'm a sucker for faster boot times (thanks to Xfce).  I'll probably stew over whether I stay with PCLOS, which is really hard to find fault with, or get tempted by the slightly quicker boot times that VL Standard gives me.

The plus side is that when you learn with Vector or Slackware, your skills transfer to any distribution. Not many other distros can claim that advantage.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Woody_in_MN

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 07:06:05 am »

The plus side is that when you learn with Vector or Slackware, your skills transfer to any distribution. Not many other distros can claim that advantage.

hanumizzle,

True.  I realize that.  As far as VL SOHO - I only real reason I switched from PCLunixOS was to gain faster boot times.  By the time I "upgraded" to VL SOHO, I was back to compare-able boot times - plus (or rather negetively) my sound system did not work.  I ran Ubuntu for about a year.  So I'm not a total  novice.  I am was certified by Novell as a Network administrator, and much later by CISCO as a CCNA.  So I'm not a developer, but I'm not a total black box user either.  I'm starting to see that is a great value in the packaging of software.  If I bother to learn to compile, and cover all dependencies to gain something - speed, or functionality, or something -then great.  But if I go thru the work for no real advantage - I mean, well why bother?

Anyway, I bailed on VL SOHO about 11 pm last night - which is LATE for me.  But of the two, VL Standard has more appeal, because I do gain some speed.

As far as VL SOHO, I actually did get a splash sound just as the desktop loaded, but nothing after that.  I expect some service is blocking the sound server, or some invalid statement.  I did everything but short of guessing what configuration files might need to be changed - even if I knew the right files to look for, I'm not sure I would know what to change.  I did enable ALSA in boios, and also in VL thru VASM.  Anyway, I ran out of patience.  I guess I'm not a patience person.

- W

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:42:27 pm »

As far as VL SOHO, I actually did get a splash sound just as the desktop loaded, but nothing after that.  I expect some service is blocking the sound server, or some invalid statement.

It's probably the aRts server.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: