VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:22:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can this be done safely?  (Read 2298 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: December 16, 2007, 10:52:44 am »

A bit of background. I have three Linux installations on my laptop. Two Zenwalk (4.8, and 4.8 +snapshot), one Vector (5.9 RC3). I use Seamonkey for both mail and web on all of these installations.

I have a /home partition with separate users for each installation. That works fine most of the time. One problem I do have is mail for all three users (  Cool all of whom are me, naturally...). Apart from the storage requirements, there are things like individual bookmark files and multiple sets of filter rules for email sorting.

So, I wondered about using one installation as the main repository for mail and web related material, and symlinking ~/.mozilla from that user account to the other two users, so that the same material can be accessed whichever installation I am running.

Can anyone advise me whether this would work? And whether there are any risks involved in doing it?

paul.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:04:30 am »

It works fine. The danger is corrupting data is more than
one instance is open.

I use a couple implementations of mount a remote
file as well as sharing across multi boot systems.

Bigpaws
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:53:29 pm »

It works fine. The danger is corrupting data is more than
one instance is open.

Grin Not likely to be a problem in this instance...

I use a couple implementations of mount a remote
file as well as sharing across multi boot systems.

Thanks for that. I've set it up and now have Zenwalk snapshot sharing using the defaults from Vector 5.9. Looks good...

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: