VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 08:06:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovering Vector :)  (Read 1309 times)
turquoise

« on: December 16, 2007, 05:14:36 pm »

Hello,

I had been eying Vector for a while, but never got aroung to giving it a try until recently. There have been several reasons for that, but things have changed recently since my main machine broke down and I found myself stuck with a Pentium II 300 as a result. I have been trying several alternate solutions since then, and Vector started to look really good as a potential candidate. One of the things that made me hesitate was the Slackware base, which I'm not familiar with but some friends tried Vector and had mostly good things to say about it. Then I saw that the new RC integrated a ports structure and that cinched it for me. I'm a big fan of the BSD ports and of Portage under Gentoo so having that possibility is a great plus for me. Plus, I had already tried Crux-like ports on a previous venture with DeLi and I did like them. so here I am, trying to tame the beast!  Grin

Linux-wise, Mandriva was my first distro but over time, I have found myself to be quite partial to Gentoo-based distros and BSD systems, athough it might be more accurate to say that I'm quite the Linux/open-source operating systems enthousiast. I have tried many distros over the years, with a preference going to distros that are easy to install but allow me to play under the hood afterwards. Somehow, Vector seems to fit the bill and it allows me to discover a family of distros that I don't know very well.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:43:31 pm »

Welcome to the community.

With your machine you will soon appreciate the speed of Vector  Grin
turquoise

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:38:50 pm »

I already do. Smiley

Actually, BSD is a little bit faster on my machine but Vector has at least one thing that BSD doesn't offer: Flash support, which is almost essential for anyone surfing the net and I wouldn't do without it, at least not for a long period of time. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: