VectorLinux
November 29, 2014, 12:23:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia 8600GT video problem  (Read 4904 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: December 17, 2007, 05:30:16 pm »

Hi People,

I'm like a few other linux users.  I like to play video games.  My hdw stats are listed below.  I purchesed a Nvidia 8600 GT video card so I would have good 3D graphics.  The generic Nvidia video driver included in VL 5.8 SOHO final workes fine in this machine, but has no 3D acceleration.  I downloaded the 8600 GT driver from the Nvidia web site and proceeded to install it.  The driver install detected that I was using the GUI interface.  I was told to exit all gui programs and re-boot to text command line.  I did this and proceeded with the install.  At the end of the install, I got the mesg that the install was successful, but when I rebooted and it arrived at the log in screen, all I got was a blank black screen.  I could not access the gui.  I could return to the text command line, buit no gui.

Now for me, a 20 year user of ms-dos and mindless ms-win, this was unacceptable.  So to make a long story short, one crash wasn't enough, I had to try it again.  Guess what, It crashed again.  Since I had printed the driver install instructions out, I did my best to follow them to the letter.  I hope I did.  If I made a mistake somewhere, I am absolutely unaware of it.   Sad

With the original driver install and two reinstalls of VL, I became rather well acquainted with the proceedure, and there is one place where I am very suspicious.  I get a mesg saying it is going to probe for the video card.  It finds the video card and says it is going to write something ( I don't remember what) to the kernel.  After a few seconds pause I get another mesg saying the kernel is missing something else ( I still don't remember what. "hey give me a break, I have only been in linux for about 6 weeks" ) .  I then get another mesg saying the install can rewrite that part of the kernel and asked if it was alright to do it.  Well I'm not going into some iffy conversation with the installer, so I said "yes", and after a short time I got a comforting mesg saying it succeeded and finally saying that the install was a success.  WELL, it wasn't a success because after two attempts, I got two blank black screens when I wanted a log in screen.  Cry

Even though I'm new at linux, I did come to an iffy conclusion.  Either the installer has a bug when it tries to find and/or write to the kernel, or else, VL has a bug in the kernel that the driver isn't aware of,  and writes something the kernel does not understand, and I get a broken install  Undecided 

I rest my case, and hope that someone out there can come to my rescue.  I really would like to play games without having to buy another video card.

reb

However, there was one place during the install, I have questions about.  When 

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:58:26 pm »

That's a nice card.

There are 2 things that happen when the NVIDIA module
is built one being the module and the second being to
change /etc/X11/xorg.conf to allow the use of the new module.

You should be using the NVIDIA installer as root and in command
line. No X running.

The first thing to be noted is that NVIDIA module was not found so
the question is to build one.
Next the module is built if the kernel headers are in place then
everything is fine. If not the build fails.

Then you shoudl be asked if you want NVIDIA to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to use the new module. You can also edit by hand. I have not had any
problems with allowing it.

Oh look for the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak or similar. If you find that
you can use this command to restore (do this as root)

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf 

That will put the backup file in place.

Then everything should be good. If not you can look at /var/log/Xorg for
an errors that happened. That should give you a clue to the problem.

Hopefully this helps. If not post back, with what you did and
any failures that may have happened. Relax this is not a hard
problem to solve. I do remember the torment for years ago so I can
feel your pain.

Bigpaws
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:55 pm »

Ah, a fellow gamer - we seem to be a rarity in linux Smiley

Now, I recall seeing something similar when I was doing up my media machine (which also runs nVidia, but a very old one) and if I wanted to use propriety drivers (I did - tad more reliable, full-featured, etc) then I'd need to install the kernal source code as well.  At first, I hadn't done this, which meant I couldn't properly complete the driver install.

If you're willing to try reinstalling again, when you get the option, install the source as well, and see how that goes, assuming what bigpaws suggests doesn't solve it for you.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:22:13 pm »

BlueMage

I'm looking at getting an nVidia card (switching from my crappy ati) I was wondering if you could suggest a model that seems to install better, if there is such a thing. 

or put down the basics of adding it during a fresh install of 5.9 like other then clicking the nvidia lib to be added what else do I have to do?

The cards I was looking at were agp cards, specifically I was looking at 7600 GT or 7600 GS  the GT was my preference.  I'm just not sure of how much of a headache it will be to install. and I've finally hit a point where I can get my ati card installed all be it lacking in the performance side and incapable of playing the most simple 3d games.

Just wondering your take.  If you've heard anything good/bad about a particular make/model of nvidia card.

Ask Yourself

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:55:33 am »

The 7600 were a decent series, though a tad behind the times now.  In all cases, I'll recommend a GT over a GS (or GTX over a GTS as the case may be), as you'll be getting a better card for a now-negligible price difference.  If this is for a modern system, I'd really steer away from AGP - it's an obsolete tech now - but if it's a legacy system, by all means, stick with AGP.

For my own experiences, installing the nVidia (or ATI for that matter - I've got an ATI card in my laptop, same source requirements) is fairly simple.  Include the kernel source when installing VL (or install it later - should be in the repos or on the install disc itself) and you'll be fine.  If you're a free-software idealist, by all means go for the open-source driver, otherwise, stick with the proprietry drivers - they're generally more fully featured and more reliable.

Please note also that I don't do much gaming on linux - I've got Windows for that, and a fully-tricked out box to go with it.  If you're going to try to play games on linux, you'll probably have to do it through Wine for most mainstream games, so you can expect to take a small performance hit there.  There are exceptions - the Quake series can run on linux as far as I know, as can a few other FPSs.  On a 7600 series card, you'll be able to play most modern games at medium to low settings, and all older games at medium or higher settings.  Obviously, Crysis will refuse to run, but then again, that beauty can almost bring my beast to a halt Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:10:21 am »

I run a 7600GT card have all the games running, Quake3, Doom3 and
Quake4.

Pretty easy to install now. It has been reliable card for me.

Bigpaws
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:26:49 am »

OK bigpaws

I think I follow yu.  I'll try it again knowing that if it fails the worst that can happen is another reinstall of VL  Cheesy  If it does fail, I hope the  .bak will save me some time Wink

I printed your post so I can follow it because my memory isn't good enough to remember it all.

I'll let yu know what happens.

reb

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:57 am »

Any one know when the next release of vl 5.9 is coming out? and unfortunately the last time I updated my system was just before pci-e was standard (the fall of 2004).  I'm just happy they still sell agp cards even if the architecture is out of date and limited.  It means I can get a little more time out of my old box prior to my next full system upgrade.

Thanks for the input I'll go for 7600GT Smiley 

Ask Yourself

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 11:21:57 am »

Any one know when the next release of vl 5.9 is coming out?

When it is ready, is the usual answer!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:39 pm »

Any one know when the next release of vl 5.9 is coming out?

When it is ready, is the usual answer!  Wink
Anyone know what today happens to be the 1 year anniversary of?
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:45:54 pm »

Hey bigpaws,  Grin

The Nvidia 8600GT  is installed.  The install went just like it should.  However, I still think my hunch was correct.  The driver that I tried twice to install, "NVIDIA-Linux-86-100.14.(23)-pkg1.run" is as of today, no longer available from nividia web site.  The () around '23' are mine.  The driver that I downloaded today is '19' instead of '23' and it worked like it should have.  So maybe, just maybe, the newer one might have had a problem.

Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"

I was soooo pleased to see it in my 'xorg.conf' file that I just had to show it to yu Cheesy

thanks much people

reb

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:51:19 pm »

BlueMage,

When I get the game installed, I'll let yu know how it works, assuming that it does work. Wink

reb

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:59:38 pm »

you'll probably have to do it through Wine for most mainstream games, so you can expect to take a small performance hit there.

That is not really the case, actually the issue with wine is not the performance, but compatibility. Some programs are wine compatible and some not. But wine is not an emulator  Roll Eyes, there is no a 'virtual machine' translating 'windows instructions' to 'linux instructions', the performance shouldn't be a problem. I am not really a gamer, but I play some games from time in time. Of course there is nothing like Crysys (perhaps Quake 4 or Unreal Tournament 3), but there is -as BlueMage mentioned- some fps that seems to be very popular, like Urban Terror 4, Tremolous, Assault Cube, and others. The last beast is Enemy Territory, I think.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:08:24 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:32:21 pm »

you'll probably have to do it through Wine for most mainstream games, so you can expect to take a small performance hit there.

That is not really the case, actually the issue with wine is not the performance, but compatibility. Some programs are wine compatible and some not. But wine is not an emulator  Roll Eyes, there is no a 'virtual machine' translating 'windows instructions' to 'linux instructions', the performance shouldn't be a problem. I am not really a gamer, but I play some games from time in time. Of course there is nothing like Crysys (perhaps Quake 4 or Unreal Tournament 3), but there is -as BlueMage mentioned- some fps that seems to be very popular, like Urban Terror 4, Tremolous, Assault Cube, and others. The last beast is Enemy Territory, I think.

When I said overhead, I meant from having another program running (Wine does need to run, right?  It doesn't just sit there, right?) rather than the fact that anything was being emulated.

Also, you're funny, I like you and you actually got that last one right Smiley  And no, much as I love both Quake 4 and UT3, neither of them are Crysis, or anywhere near it.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 02:38:50 pm »

You have it installed as in "running"?  If so congrats reb!  I'm curious what your glxgears framerate is.  Open a terminal and type
glxgears
  A new window will open and you will see colorful gears in motion. Drag the new window off to the side without resizing.  You will see your frames per second. If you resize the window, your fps will increase and thats cheating  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: