VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 09:39:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How great is the vector community.  (Read 1949 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 17, 2007, 06:54:28 pm »

I've been using vector for only 2 weeks and in that time I have had countless questions, some legit.  Others well I know there more along the lines of "how do I do this?" and "what is this for?"  As a help desk support analyst which I did for a few years among many other computer related jobs.  They were my least favourite questions because the fact is how do you tell some one how to do something?  Theres so many ways and even suggesting it may not fit the person the best, making them feel its too hard.  I'm never one that would want to discourage learning, or computer use for that matter, in that I always found those kinds of questions difficult.

I have tried converting my other Linux using friends to vector and just as much as I love vector they love there distro.  One day I'm sure they'll be over and see it, and there eye will glow with envy.  Till than I'm not really going to try anymore.  Among all the distro's I have tried this one simply works the best.  The community is amazing, and even though some of the questions I've been asking aren't the easiest to answer and would probably come to me if I just continue to play and read the help and man files.  With that said its still nice to have a distro and a community that doesn't tell me I'm retarded for asking such a simple question.

All I want to say is THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  And that I appreciate all the none judgemental help.  Its amazing to know a community like this exists, and that I've been part of it, even if just as a newb.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Ask Yourself

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:06:59 pm »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Ioooo, Saturnalia!!

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:43 pm »

LOL

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:40:48 pm »

Hi Jduped:
Thanks for the Thanks. I am certain everyone in the forum will be happy to be recognized for all the dedicated and hard work. We simply have always been this way from day one. 1998.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:41:21 pm »

Mate, the Vector community is great.  Probably the main reason I'm still using Vector - if I run into problems, I know that the community is right there to give me a hand, without bitching me out (even if most of 'em are irrationally-hateful of Vista  Grin) but more than that, most of the community here are interesting - a pretty rare occurance for a linux community, as best I can tell.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 08:49:01 pm »

but more than that, most of the community here are interesting - a pretty rare occurance for a linux community, as best I can tell.

s/interesting/basket cases/

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:16:18 pm »

Those aren't synonymous terms? Cheesy

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:10:43 am »

jduped,

I agree with you completely.  VL is by far the best Linux I've ever used, and the community here is fantastic.  Even if I am interesting and irrationally hateful of Vista  Grin, people put up with me and are always nice and civil.  I've gotten a few people to use VL as their primary OS (you can't beat Windows on the PC for games, so most dual-boot), so I bet you're right that your friends will want to try it once they see it.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: