VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 06:01:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xfce4 sledgehammer  (Read 1800 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: December 17, 2007, 11:02:53 pm »

As some on this list know, I am prone to recommend Vector 5.8 to anyone who complains about their windows machine.  Over the past year, I have probably loaded Vector on an average of 3- 5 machines a month.  This last month, I received complaints from two of those folks, saying, basically, that they lost the menus at the top and bottom of xfce4.  When this happened to me, lagaganon suggested it was because I used a "sledgehammer" to fix the problem - when a little more finesse would have been in order.

It is clear to me, however, that the problem lies with Vector 5.8 or xfce4.  Nobody is perfect, guys.  Someone should take a look at this, and, at a minimum, in the xfce help file on Vector 5.8, suggest some constructive workaround. Unless, that is, you prefer to keep Vector 5.8 for the techies.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:16:56 am »

Generally speaking, I think the solution lay in locating the Panel Manager and trying to restore the original settings there. Failing that, you should use a working VL box as a source to copy an appropriate config file to the VL installations in trouble.

I have requested devs provide a restore-Desktop-to-original-settings button in VASM. (Probably entails storing a pristine config file.) I don't know if this would help your situation. I don't recall how your problem started, what "sledgehammer" action you took, or how munged those systems are.*

On one occasion I lost the Desktop and recovered to a standard Xfce desktop, not the custom VL desktop. IIRC I had to settle for the standard Xfce desktop until I fiddled around long enough to recover the VL desktop. OTOH, maybe I just reinstalled VL 5.8, so why can't you burn a copy of VL for the others and let them reinstall? Reinstalling is SOP for a serious Windows problem, eg. virus infection, deleted system files, etc.

* I searched the forum for "sledgehammer" and your original problem did not come up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:44:20 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:05:17 am »

Generally speaking, I think the solution lay in locating the Panel Manager and trying to restore the original settings there. Failing that, you should use a working VL box as a source to copy an appropriate config file to the VL installations in trouble.

I have requested devs provide a restore-Desktop-to-original-settings button in VASM. (Probably entails storing a pristine config file.) I don't know if this would help your situation....
I believe the button you request is actually already there, just under a different name 'SKEL' as in 'skeleton'.  That should restore the configuration to what it was when VL was first installed.  Unfortunately, the skelton had some permission problems such that the once you got back to the desktop it looked totally XFCE-default rather than VL-default, but the fix has been suggested somewhere (simply permissions adjustment).  I'll see if I can track it down.

Edit:
this would be the fix that has been suggested (as root): chmod -R a+r /etc/skel
read more here: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3422.msg24479#msg24479
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:08:33 am by newtor » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:10:49 am »

Nubcunubdo, see "Changing a file's default launcher," posted in X-Rated on Oct. 28, 2007.

John

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:40:01 am »

I installed Mint Daryna over an installation of Debian Etch, without formatting or wiping the hdd, and experienced a plethora of problems. I gave up that install, wiped the drive with an erasing program, reinstalled Mint, and most of the problems disappeared.

I'm almost certain there is a wiping utility included on UBCD and System Rescue CD, if you need one.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:53:46 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:34:29 am »

Resuming, the solution would be running chmod -R a+r /etc/skel in a terminal as root, and then Vasm > Skel.
This looks fixed in 5.9, I tried to break it with no success.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 01:09:08 pm »

thanks rbistolfi,

I just called one of them and went through it with him on the phone and it worked fine.  He lost the pretty vector screen, but he has his menus back and is happy.

John

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: