VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Virtual Box kernel driver not accessible  (Read 3099 times)

Andy Price

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Virtual Box kernel driver not accessible
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:23:43 pm »

Hi

I'm running VL5.8. I just installed the latest Virtualbox from the repos. It installed ok, but when I created a virtual machine and tried to run it I got an error message about the kernel driver. So I went back and installed the kernel driver from the repos as well (the one for VL5.8), but I still get an error when I try to start a virtual machine:

VirtualBox kernel driver not accessible, permission problem.
VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).
Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

I'm new to Virtualbox so I wonder if there's something I overlooked? Do I need to set permissions on the kernel driver, and if so, how?

Thanks for any help
Andy

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Virtual Box kernel driver not accessible
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:50:10 pm »

Did you add yourself to voxusers?

Bigpaws

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:57 pm »

I had similar problems in the past with virtualbox and had to manually load the module every time (as root with virtualbox closed): modprobe vboxdrv
Then start virtualbox and give it a whirl.

Andy Price

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:44:38 pm »

Thanks for the tips. Bigpaws, I found there was no group called voxusers. I created one and added myself just in case, but I still got the error. Newtor, in my case vboxdrv was already loaded, though I did try run the modprobe command as you suggested. Still no joy.

In desperation I uninstalled and reinstalled (showing my Windows background) and.... yep, it works ok now! I would have preferred to know why it didn't work the first time though...

Anyway, thanks for the fast responses. I might have some more VirtualBox questions soon...
Andy

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:20:17 pm »

I have had similar experience with VirtualBox. After loading the first time get the error the reload and all is well. That is until VL5.9 which I have not yet gotten vbox 1.5.2 to work with yet.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143