VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 10:28:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unmounting  (Read 1150 times)
TC

« on: December 19, 2007, 02:37:58 pm »

Hi, TC again, when I loaded VL 5.8 I was unsure as to how I should and could partition my hard drive.  So to say the least my HD starts at 32.3KB and ends at 320G so I decided to resize my HD but am unable at this time.  When I go into my root directory and type "parted" then resize I get an Error message telling me I have to first unmount my HD before I can resize.  Could anyone help direct me in how to resize my HD partition so I can load another operating system onto my exiting HD under another partition, thank you.  TC
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:52:47 pm »

You cannot resize a partition while it's being used.... or in your case, you cannot partition that drive from an operating system running on the same drive. So here is what you do

Option 1: Get a VL live CD. the 5.8std Live has gparted. boot this live cd, and repartition from there
Option 2: Get a Gparted live cd (look for it at distrowatch.com) ... the ISO is much smaller, and it's good for one thing and one thing only... partitioning..
Option 3: User the tool privided in the installer to partition your drive (not the easiest tool I have to admit)

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:40:48 pm »

Option 2: Get a Gparted live cd (look for it at distrowatch.com) ... the ISO is much smaller, and it's good for one thing and one thing only... partitioning..
I'd go with this option if I were you. The place to get it is here: http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ . I use it whenever I need to resize or repartition. It has not failed me yet. That being said, you should really back up any important data on that partition, just to be sure.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: