VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:36:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A rant -Linux Sucks, and Why  (Read 7975 times)
youngtomedison

« on: December 21, 2007, 03:46:25 am »

I've got something to say. I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for it. OK, I';m going to say it anyway.

Linux sucks.

OK, why does Linux suck?

It sucks because it's full of bugs.

Well, OK, isn't Microsoft Windows full of bugs too?

It sure is. Hell, MS Windows IS a bug! If you upgrade to a new version as soon as it comes out, you're paying to be Bill Gates' beta tester!

Linux doesn't have the glaring security and functionality issues that Windows does. It merely has surprises, issues that crop up if you try to do anything but surf the web, process words, or work with pictures. Those things it does quite well, and you cannot beat the price.

But let's say you're an audiophile like me and you want to do some recording. Nothing fancy, just a simple cassette-to-hard-drive transfer. You can't. I describe the problem here:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4876.15

Copying a CD such that all the artist and title information gets filled in automatically was a walk in the park under Debian and even under Windows. Not under Vector:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5027.0

I'm sick of all these surprise obstacles to what ought to be simple, routine tasks. If they can work OK under a junk OS like Windows 98SE, why can't they just work under Vector Linux?

Bugs, bugs, bugs.

Every distro that I've tried always had something wrong with it, apps that don't quite work right or which don't quite synch up with the rest of the OS.

Perhaps I made a mistake in thinking Linux was an alternative to the all-consuming blob of Windows Vista.

Looks to me like I'll just have to empty my bank account, miss a whole lot of meals, and fork over tribute to Steve Jobs, for a Mac. The hardware and software are a bigger rip-off than Microsoft, but what's the alternative? I'm sick of being frustrated.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 03:59:35 am »

Nåväl, I'm going to refrain from saying something immature because karma will bite me in the ass otherwise.

Linux, the kernel, isn't altogether too buggy. In fact it's quite stable. OK, maybe that's kind of anal retentive. But it's really apps and some drivers that have bugs. You must understand that we (the Linux community as a whole) don't have access to all the specs for hardware and media formats that others do, so it's sometimes necessary to reverse engineer them. The feats so achieved are pretty remarkable, I think.

Maybe the grass simply looks greener on the other side. Macs aren't bad, but even our Mac (OS X) workstations at school bug out and behave strangely. I stay with Linux, specifically Vector, because it offers me a community experience you can't get with most other operating systems. Case in point: on most other computer fora, you would probably get a response like "STFU n00b" or perhaps plain indifference. That didn't happen here.

JMO
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:02:11 am by hanumizzle » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:53:35 am »

Copying a CD such that all the artist and title information gets filled in automatically was a walk in the park under Debian and even under Windows. Not under Vector:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5027.0

If Debian and Windows work for you why don't you continue to use it?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:23:38 am »

I'm sick of being frustrated.

I certainly agree with that. Please look at the
whole problem before just jumping. My first
experiences with Linux were down right
frustrating, my enlightenment came when I realized
the learning curve for Windows.

It is possible that you are using the wrong tool for the
job. Your reports about Audacity is usually one of two
problems the way the program was compiled or a
different version. The different version should not
really be the case but I have seen it. Have you done
any research for audio editing? I am not an audiophile
so the tools presented do not mean much. Perhaps this
will guide the way for a solution.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7274

The other post the you referred to I did post an answer.

Your thoughts (rant) is certainly understandable. If that is
all this is then rant away most of us have broad shoulders.

It can be lonely not having someone to talk you through things
as well as frustrating. In the MAC world it can be the same as
well.

Bigpaws
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:09:34 am »

But let's say you're an audiophile like me and you want to do some recording. Nothing fancy, just a simple cassette-to-hard-drive transfer. You can't.
I am and I can. But I too had some trouble to get my audio card and my usb->midi device working properly. I know how frustrating it is when hardware doesn't work the way it should.

I'm sick of all these surprise obstacles to what ought to be simple, routine tasks. If they can work OK under a junk OS like Windows 98SE, why can't they just work under Vector Linux?
Well, during testing these tasks may have missed the attention of the testers. For instance, I haven't copied an audio CD for a long time. What's an important task to you might not be important to others. Also, with as little testers as we have we can't test every piece of hardware.

Because I have had trouble with Linux as well, I don't often recommend it to others, and I am sort of hesitant when people ask me to install it for them. But I love using it and always feel very frustrated when I have to use Windows.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:03:43 am »

Well, I too wish I had the perfect OS. Unfortunately it doesn't exist (can I put a "yet" here and not be delusional?) and the number of variables that adversely impact reaching "perfection" is increasing. What the others have posted I too would agree with. Currently, to get what I need or want to get done each day has me dual-booting between WinXP and VL. Hanumizzle pointed out why I stick with VL verses some other distro - the community is by far the best.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 11:13:40 am »

mikecindi

No, you cannot put a "yet" there and not be delusional.  Grin  You're right, though, in saying that things in general are getting better.  Even Windows, of which I am not very fond, is much better than when I started using it (Windows 3.11).

As to the original post:  youngtomedison - I don't want to be harsh, but I suggest that it is unproductive to rant, and more productive to learn about GNU/Linux (Vector if you choose, some other distribution if not).  If you decide GNU/Linux is not what you want or need, then you will have to go elsewhere.  I've heard from many people that Mac OS X is great.  Perhaps what you need lies there.  Until then, should you choose to continue to use Vector Linux, I would urge you to make use of the great community that is here.  People are eager to help you - I've never met a friendlier and more solicitous group in any forum.  If your problem can be solved, they will do their best to help you solve it.  I'm not making any promises for them, I just know this from experience.  Do expect, however, to do some work of your own.  People can't help you if you don't try; if all you have to say is that Linux sucks and that it's full of bugs, I don't think you'll get very far.

Respectfully,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 12:06:05 pm »

Tom could have not said it any better. If no os is good enough for ya then i may suggest you either start writing you own or else seek professional help (j/k). that's the beauty of choice.

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 08:15:40 pm »

first of all, I'll open by saying "lol Mac".  Second, I'll add that while vista may be a resource-hogging blob, it's a blob that works if you use common sense and install it on the hardware it's intended for.

Third, I'll say that (odd as this may seem - no, I'm not a masochist) half the fun of linux is sorting out the frustrations.  Despite what they tell you, every computer is different in its own subtle way.  No two the exact same (for the home user).  As such, sorting out the frustrations are as much part and parcel of using linux as changing the nappy is when you have a baby.  And in truth, it shouldn't be any other way.

The hard tasks are the only ones worth doing, and frequently bring the greatest reward.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 09:06:03 pm »

As such, sorting out the frustrations are as much part and parcel of using linux as changing the nappy is when you have a baby.  And in truth, it shouldn't be any other way.

The hard tasks are the only ones worth doing, and frequently bring the greatest reward.

Hm, life is often like that. Sometimes I wish it were better but, anyway, at least Linux doesn't threaten your welfare when it doesn't function properly. "All's well that ends well."

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 07:33:35 am »

I have been known to let out a rant or two myself, including some in this forum. Some times it just feels good to vent.

Frustrations and challenges have been part of my computer education. I remember my first DOS machine.. why on earth did they choose for directory separator a symbol (\) that does not have a standard keyboard location? Windows 3.0.. ah, what a crash course that was. Win95.. anyone remember trying to get USB working on that one? Accelerated graphics: am I the only one who spent hundreds of dollars on upgrades to get a $50 game to run?

I spent a lot of time and effort learning to use computers. Each stage had it's obstacles. The transition to Linux was no different, but I stuck with it, and I am glad I did.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 07:36:47 am »

Frustrations and challenges have been part of my computer education.

I remember when I thought it was possible to write to CD-ROMs as normal disks. Oops.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 07:54:36 am »

Frustrations and challenges have been part of my computer education.

I remember when I thought it was possible to write to CD-ROMs as normal disks. Oops.

The first time I listened about internet, I spent hours connecting the TV antenna cable to some pc-compatible plug (I can't remember which kind). I wonder why it didn't work.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 08:03:10 am »

No OS is perfect. If you're looking for utopia in the computer world, you're going to end up being extremely frustrated and disillusioned.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 08:36:12 am »

One of the things I like about Linux (which is also something that a lot of people see as a drawback) is that there are so many choices.  Different ways to do so many things.  Sure, it's somewhat harder to learn than certain *cough* other operating systems, but I find that the effort is well worth it.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: