VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 09:41:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.9-final-GOLD is under the tree  (Read 26670 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: December 21, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house,
Not a geek was a-stirring, not even a gaming mouse.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
That even Sir Vector had to see what was the matter.
What to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a shiny disk with letters so clear.
VECTORLINUX 5.9 GOLD ...it's here!

HO HO HO and MERRY CHRISTMAS go get your shiny new disk from here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso

Santa, with Uelsk8s and Masta at his side, sprang to the sleigh,so large and so high
Then to M0E-Linux, JohnB316 and the rest of the crew,
He gave out a whistle, and away they all flew.
I could hear them exclaim as they sped from sight,
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

cheers Vec
enjoy
MERRY CHRISTMAS
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 01:47:36 am »

ahaha  Grin
beautifully said, and im downloading it right now!

wow,this server is pretty hot. I'm downloading with 1mb/sec
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:54:43 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:10:17 am »

ok, there's just one way to descirbe this: it's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !
It's amazing that this release has been created only a year and a week after the last final release of VL standard.
Great job guys!
* The Headacher starts downloading now..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:18:55 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:21 am »

Wow Vec, you could work for a Tim Burton movie! I can't wait to install it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 06:25:43 am »

Thank you for your hard work VL team.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 06:59:27 am »

many thanks to vec team for this major upgrade version.I'll try to give back to the comunity as much as possible after installing this baby to two machines at home  Cheesy

Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:54:31 am »

Thanks for this fine release... downloading in progress... waiting to see the new goodies :p

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:15:17 pm »

burning the image as we speak.My brother specially went to the cd store to buy whats needed today.

I sure hope it has those mighty fine fonts that the pseudo cd had.  Roll Eyes

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 02:03:34 pm »

What a wonderful Christmas present!

Downloaded and managed to install it an hour or so ago. I've now got it looking the way I want. Very nice.

Hate to do this, but I have hit a problem that I wasn't having in RC3. I'm using HAL rather than Vl-hot. Plug a CD into the drive and it mounts. But I'm getting an error popup - text as below:

Code:
Failed to mount "VL_59".
mount /dev/cdrom already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy
mount according to mtab /dev/hdc is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom

As a first attempt at solving the problem, I commented out the /dev/hdc line in /etc/fstab. Mad a small mistake - did it while the CD was mounted.  Embarrassed So it wouldn't unmount. Fixed that, then commented it out again. The CD then mounts as /media/VL_59, but I get two Thunar windows open on it. Also, all the folders in both copies of Thunar are showing a padlock (presumably indicating ro status, which doesn't happen when the CD is mounting under /mnt/cdrom).

As I said, I wasn't seeing this behavior in RC3, so something has changed. Is there any easy way to fix it?

Ah. Just tried a flash drive. It mounts without problems, but again, I'm getting two Thunar windows on its contents. Something has got broken...

paul
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:07:15 pm by toothandnail » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 02:28:41 pm »

installed without a problem at the laptop.

my first imperssions:
first of all i would like to thank the developers for including me at the credits. =)

no instalation problems. everthing ran right out of the box. Gui design has improved a bit,but also degraded at other places:
i like the new lilo boot and bootsplash.They look more professional than the previous.
start menu looks nice. Default mouse theme is an interesting and bold choice- i like it to,Suits the glossy blue design.
Things that i didnt like are:
-the desktop wallpaper- pretty ordinary...but a change for good i guess,since its not blue and mediocre as before.
-log in screen- previous theme was better i think.This one has too much stuff on the screen.Looks a bit less clean and bloated.
-the login splash is too big and not using its size very well.Too much blank space. I liked the previous (58gold) better and switched back to it.

i like vasmcc ALOT.Gives a very polished look to vasm...and looks just like that mockup some distro reviewer made a year or two ago  Roll Eyes
Great job from moe!
Also vpackager is included,which is a good step for vector towards interesting features and will probably make other distros want to port it for them

overal performance:
booted quickly,runs very well.Opera works with youtube,im a bit dissapointed there is no GIMP in the graphics menu,but that can be easily fixed if one has internet like me.
k3b is included,which is very interesting for a distro without kde by default.
Good thing you kept transmission- its far better than deluge- less deps,runs faster.
I see catfish included which means that vecdevs had really taken interest into quick file access/(optional)file indexing.

only problem this far is that windows partition didnt mount after install setup,but that can be easily fixed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:04:56 pm by blurymind » Logged

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 03:01:35 pm »

Hate to do this, but I have hit a problem that I wasn't having in RC3. I'm using HAL rather than Vl-hot. Plug a CD into the drive and it mounts. But I'm getting an error popup - text as below:
none of those sort of problems here....strange....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:45:18 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tab0reqq

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 04:41:34 pm »

Yep. Thats whay i was in bed and now im at laptop downloading VL 5.9 STD. My first attempt was 5.8 STD also in Christmass Time Smiley

I think my ubuntu (only installed this for check) will be deleted for VL.
Before i do this i better check what modules and what other bcg programs are running there that i have:
- all button work ok on HP nx7300 (mute, volume up/down, wifi)
- i have osd Tongue

What should i check? lsmod only? After that i will delete this overloaded ubu.

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 05:11:06 pm »

none of those sort of problems here....strange....

Huh Very. Even stranger, I rebooted the machine, and the problem vanished. I then did a clean reinstall, and the problem came back. Again, an extra reboot seems to have cleared it. Very odd.

Couple of other items - what happened to Gimp? I don't recall any discussion of removing it from the iso, but it seems to have gone...

Also found something I should have found during the beta cycle - in RC3, I didn't bother installing Mplayer, since I prefer Xine for media playback. While having a look at the new CD, I found the /doc/test directory. Trying the mp3, ogg or mpg tests all failed - the window would open, but a 'stopped' message would be displayed and I could not start playback. One of the reasons for the reinstall was to install Mplayer, and now all of those tests work.

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, it looks as though making Mplayer an optional install may not be a good idea, since Seamonkey (at least) is using the Mplayer plugin for media playback, and it looks as though Mplayer itself needs to be installed for the plugin to function.

paul.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:25 pm »

YEAH BABY!

Man, that made my day.  Time to see how much I can pull from this wireless connection then Cheesy (i'm in Dubai currently)

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 02:40:54 am »

Congrats on 5.9 Gold,  thanks for all the hard work.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: