VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:33:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.9-final-GOLD is under the tree  (Read 26262 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 06:09:09 am »

Yay, merry Christmas ansd a Happy New Year (and congratulations on geting 5.9 out in time for both). I look forward to trying it soon.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 07:18:07 am »

Ai, what a nice surprise! Now I have something to do on my five day layover away from home.

Thank you to everybody involved.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 08:23:17 am »

Downloading now ...

To all the developers, packagers, bug-reporters, and everyone involved in Vector Linux:  Thank you!  I'm still using RC1 now, and I must say it's a thing of beauty.  So I'm really excited to get the final installed.

This is a great Christmas present.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 09:39:17 am »

Hello,

I appreciate the gratitude it is what keeps me developing for VL.

Having said that there are real cost involved in maintaining a linux distro, so if you think VL is worthwile, please show vector your support by either purchasing the Deluxe version or making a donation.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Uelsk8s
tab0reqq

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 10:03:04 am »

I join to all good wished to all VL users especially VL Devs Smiley
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sorry to post this, but i cant run VL setup. I can't even start. VL boots with isolinux, then 1st keyboard layout (PL) then... he can't find VL resources!?
My *.iso has same MD5 checksum as its on ftp. I assume also that burned CD is ok. If yes, what then? Don't tell me i have to burn another one becouse i dont have now Smiley That would mean i need to buy another one and I wont be able to install VL this evening.

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 10:51:19 am »

tab0reqq,
if you have a spare partition(one that you wont be using to install to)
then copy the ISO to the root ( / ) of that partition and boot with the cd it should be able to find it then
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 03:01:03 pm »

after playing around with it, i must say that this is one damn fine version. Grin The fastest booting/running linux i've ever played with. Seriously awesome tune ups you made on this one Shocked

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
tab0reqq

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 05:00:25 pm »

uelsk8s, kill me but i cant do this under ubuntu (what i have now) :| Im confused.

- Logging to ubuntu
- ctrl+alt+f1
- init 2
- user ROOT and password
- creating in $root/vinstall
- copying vinstall-iso and VL5.9-STD-GOLD.iso
- as root: sh vinstall-iso VL5.9-STD-GOLD.iso and.. he wants me to do this under root account which is already running...

Now way... I need to do this somehow. If not... ill buy damn CD before Christmas dinner. Sad

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 05:27:17 pm »

try this...

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_linux
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 06:32:17 pm »

Tab, I think you have to comment the section of the script is in charge of checking for the uid. Sorry I cant give more detailed help, but I though you would want to give it a try, looks like you are in hurry.

HTH, Rodrigo
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:22:03 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 07:03:28 pm »

Hello,

I appreciate the gratitude it is what keeps me developing for VL.

Having said that there are real cost involved in maintaining a linux distro, so if you think VL is worthwile, please show vector your support by either purchasing the Deluxe version or making a donation.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Uelsk8s

Well said uelsk8s. I couldn't have expressed that any better.

To all of the community who have helped shape this release with praise, suggestions, constructive criticism, and those who have worked hard testing... I say "thank you"

And to everyone,
                              Merry Christmas , Happy New year !!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 08:08:49 pm »

Cool, I just downloaded VL 5.9 Std GOLD. Will install tomorrow, Monday. So, um, can you put out the VL 5.9 Std LiveCD (final) so I can present the two as a pair. I have a tentative order for several copies of VL Std.

Thanks to all.

Happy Solstice
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 05:45:55 am »

uelsk8s, kill me but i cant do this under ubuntu (what i have now) :| Im confused.

- Logging to ubuntu
- ctrl+alt+f1
- init 2
- user ROOT and password
- creating in $root/vinstall
- copying vinstall-iso and VL5.9-STD-GOLD.iso
- as root: sh vinstall-iso VL5.9-STD-GOLD.iso and.. he wants me to do this under root account which is already running...

Now way... I need to do this somehow. If not... ill buy damn CD before Christmas dinner. Sad

I to did a vinstall-iso starting from Ubuntu. You just need to open the script vinstall with your favourite text editor (e.g. gedit, nano,...) and comment out the second paragraphe, where you see it's checking for the root account. This is the part you need to comment out, it did work fine for me:

Code:
#check_user()
#{
#[ "$UID" = "0" ] && return 0

#cat << EOF

#ERROR: must run as root

#Please login as root or call su first

#EOF

#exit 1   
#}

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 06:32:04 am »

tab0reqq: I had that sort of problems too. installing from vl 5.8.  It couldn't find the partitions where to install vl (I had spare unmounted partitions).  I burned a CD, and I'm now on 5.9.

Great distro.  I'm not sure, but it feels faster than 5.8.

Thank you for that amazing distro! ATI is working out of the box.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 10:27:01 am »

i would like to ask uelsk8s about those wonderful adobe fonts that were present in the pseudo cd. Is it possible to install them and make them default somehow?

also would like to confirm that all the little bugs that were present in 58gold are gone in this release (including that nasty switch eth devices bug). I have played with this release from yesterday and no bugs whatsoever. Its pretty smooth...and seems to be booting faster than 58 or 51...and feels very light.
Opera 9.5 is a bit buggy though.I wish opera gets to a stable version soon. The main problem has always been flash and the plugins in oprah. I have no idea how you guys had managed to make opera play youtube vids. Seems like after i put my old settings,it gets broken again,but nm.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:32:12 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: