VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 08:04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.9-final-GOLD is under the tree  (Read 26581 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 07:22:18 am »

I bet you're right The Headacher. I've been scratching my head over this one.  Duh!  lol

Finally got the time to backup needed files to free up a partition to install the 5.9 std gold.  It's sooooo nice to be done with the pseudo's, betas and RC releases.  I can finally move into a install and do something productive for me for a while.

Can't say I notice the speed as they've all been fast and surely I'm spoiled.  Maybe I should install Suse for a while so I can be reminded.  Grin  I don't have challenging hardware so I really can't break anything yet.  I just have a lean mean, but comfortable VL install.

Thanks so much VL devs.  Now go get some sleep.  Cheesy
lydia

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 10:21:42 am »

Cheesy Is that the problem? I will try again.
lydia

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 11:15:58 am »

Thank You. All is well once again. By the way Kudos everything looks great.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 06:40:53 pm »

Just want to mention that I installed dropline-gnome 2.20.? and it seems to be working properly.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

Finally got the time to backup needed files to free up a partition to install the 5.9 std gold.  It's sooooo nice to be done with the pseudo's, betas and RC releases.  I can finally move into a install and do something productive for me for a while.

I feel the same way. After months of installing a new operating system on three (and now four) computers every week or two, I'm eager to do the things I didn't do with the betas and RCs because I knew I'd have to do it all over in a few days. Smiley

I had to wait for days to install Gold because of Christmas and visits with our children and grandchildren (all of them). Now they're gone, so it's back to the real world. I've burnt CDs for 5.9 Standard Deluxe and can't wait to get them installed.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Scott271

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:30 am »

Just downloaded and installed it, ..... lovin' it!!!

Only one issue, I now have no sound. I was running 5.8 on this comp right before I installed 5.9, the sound was working fine with 5.8. I have tried to have alsa reconfig it twice to no avail, so if someone has some insight into how I can get this working - I'd greatly appreciate it.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 05:08:22 pm »

Need some information on the sound card/chip, that can help us help you.
It worked in 5.8, maybe the mixer needs to be set the same as it was in 5.8 (as in change the mixer configuration to another driver). That's assuming that ALSA did it's setup without outputting an errors. So maybe try that and let us know.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2007, 02:16:43 am »

Hi all....I just install VL5.9 STD I believe everything work fine...
except that when I login the first time I found out that some of the program icon is not visible.......
I need to manually edit the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications for the appropriate icon.....this issue happen VL5.8 but it seem it happen again in VL5.9 too......
actually is not such a big deal but it is a bit disappointed as this issue still haven't settle....

EDIT:
It seem like most of the missing start menu icon are related to xfce4........do it only me or everyone also have the same problem....

btw, is wifi-radar working? I run from the start menu and it doesn't work as it should be in VL5.8......when I try to run it from a terminal it show some error msg.......
vector://home/hata_ph
root:# wifi-radar
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/wifi-radar", line 1578, in <module>
    auto_profile_order = auto_profile_order.split( ',' )
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'split'
vector://home/hata_ph
root:#
I can connect my wireless by using VLwifi but it doesn't have the function as wifi-radar offer.......and it as quite confusing as there is so many wifi option from the start menu and VASM........i have to try all 1 by 1 to test which one that can setup my wireless......
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:46:18 am by hata_ph » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2007, 04:50:31 am »

hata_ph: I haven't noticed a single missing icon in xfce VL5.9 gold.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2007, 06:29:25 am »

i install it from ISO and didn't install some of the 3D games and the vlnvidia packages......could it be due to that?

EDIT:

I reinstall VL5.9TD with all the application and all the issue is gone....haha.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:33:49 am by hata_ph » Logged
tab0reqq

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »

I think i need to wait a little bit with VL 5.9 beocse of few annoying things:
- as previous no OSD info about 3 hardware buttons: vol up, vol down, mute
- as previuse working of mute/volume hardware buttons is various
- i have problem with disappearing xorg.conf (after modifications with vasmCC) after restart no available screens found. after i make from console su vasm and after new xorg setup all works
- i have random errors who looks smth like that:
Code:
screen disappears and black screen appears. on top of it i have green bar filled with many black dots and scratches.
ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+alt+backspace, ctrl+f1 to f12 doesnt work. only normal switch off/on works.
- wireless network on iw3945 has problem with autoloading wifi module. i need to make all with vlwifi which is annoying (tryed all how-to's)
- i still cant get COMPIZ to work: i make ALL step by step with VL wiki, no compiz icon is compiled, and after all steps i can force compiz with: indirect rendering and by forcing it. after that i have compiz effect and no way i can run winow borders or window title with standard menu (file, edit etc...).
- performance of video drivers for intel 945GM gma950 on VL is very poor. On ubuntu 7.10 i have better performanc with same compiz effects
- Firefox works SO DAMN SLOW !! Windows and Ubuntu FF works like a charm. on VL no Sad

So far, for me, VL was very suitable on desktop PC not on my nx7300 laptop. Sad

SHIT Sad i give next try as soon as possible - propably within 48h
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:43:04 pm by tab0reqq » Logged

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
M-ake

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2008, 04:32:26 pm »

Yes sounds like you share the same problems as I did on rc versions of VL59. We have pretty much the same hardware.

Wireless can be fixed easily by adding "ipw3945d" to rc.local file. Or you can just run it from terminal as root (without the quotes of course). Any idea to compiz problem ? (no window borders).
Looks like I have to postpone my transition to VL59 for the time being. Nah I still have my VL58 on my old comp, which I like very much.

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2008, 08:53:32 pm »

if you run "export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=0" before you start compiz the window borders should work
tab0reqq

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2008, 05:31:03 am »

hmm.. lets try Smiley i install VL today and check whether it works.

tab0reqq

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2008, 01:39:52 pm »

Doesnt work. I think ill start new thread about VL 5.9 and nx7300. Maybe if we all figure out how to make it it will make VL more friendly for laptop users Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: