VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 04:28:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb friendly Linux Movie Maker?  (Read 4904 times)
Will
Vectorite

« on: December 23, 2007, 06:25:38 am »

I've recently goten my mitts on the linux cd for tribes 2 and I've wanted to do some match recording. Granted tribes has an in-game recorder, but its only viewable within the game engine. So I need two things.

One: Something that works like fraps, as in something that'll run in the background and record what I'm doing.

Two: Something like windows movie maker(without the crash happyness). Yes there are open scource editing tools, but its been my limited experiance that they're not exactly 'new guy' friendly. Any suggestions?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:28:00 am »

mandvd and kino seem easy to me
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:51:31 am »

Mandvd I take is the movie editor with Kino being the screen/process recording software?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:28:01 am »

both will edit movies i dont know what "screen/process recording software" is  Embarrassed

here are the descriptions:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
mandvd: mandvd  (DVD authoring program)
mandvd:
mandvd: ManDVD aims to be an easy to use dvd authoring solutions for non geeks.
mandvd: It makes the process of encoding, menu authoring and dvd burning seamless
mandvd: and painless.
mandvd:
mandvd: License: GPL
mandvd: Website: http://www.kde-apps.org

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
kino: kino (Video editor)
kino:
kino: Kino is a non-linear DV editor for GNU/Linux. It features excellent
kino: integration with IEEE 1394 for capture, VTR control, and recording back to
kino: the camera. It captures video to disk in raw DV or AVI format in both type-1
kino: DV and type-2 DV (separate audio stream) encodings. Kino does not support other
kino: video file formats or encodings. However, it can import other formats by
kino: transcoding them using FFmpeg and optionally MEncoder.
kino:
kino: License: GNU GPL
kino: Website: http://www.kinodv.org
kino: Authors: Dan Dennedy <dan@dennedy.org> and many others (see site)

Will
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:42:57 am »

Ok in short apps like fraps take whats happening on screen and ports it to an uncompressed avi file so that you can edit and compress as you see fit with other prograsm. Fraps also has a FPS counter(since its game-centric) and a screenshot function, but its mainly for recording stuff that goes on inside your computer.
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:47:46 am »

RecordMyDesktop is pretty good at capturing screen activity, though it may not work with your game (games will sometimes directly access the hardware without the processor "seeing" the video).

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 10:28:36 am »

RecordMyDesktop is pretty good at capturing screen activity, though it may not work with your game (games will sometimes directly access the hardware without the processor "seeing" the video).

mplayer does that as well, which can be fixed with -vo x11. I wonder whether games can be convinced not to use Xv or whatever else it is that they use to access hardware directly.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:21:46 am »

Ok mplayer can do that yes, but does anyone know if it will capture, say, open-arena footage?
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 11:05:22 am »

Ok mplayer can do that yes, but does anyone know if it will capture, say, open-arena footage?

No, saulgoode mentioned RecordMyDesktop and there are certainly some other solutions, like pyvnc2swf (works well with low resources, but somewhat cumbersome to use).

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: