VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: tlz vs port  (Read 3691 times)

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
tlz vs port
« on: December 24, 2007, 06:48:37 am »

We have a new amazing VL version online, and I was about to package a couple of applications, but I face a dilemma: to port or not to port.

Apps I'm going to package have no deps to solve, so port would be enough, but they don't change versions very often, so a tlz will not get outdated for long time.

What do you recommend?

Feel free to move this post to a better section...

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: tlz vs port
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 08:44:50 am »

either way you do it you will end up with a tlz. i would vote to port them. That way when the versions do change you can use the same script to build the newer versions.

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:40:19 am »

Yeah, I meant what's the better way for distributing a package, not just for myself. 
I'll try porting anyway. I'm having some difficulties linking the Pkgfile with slack-desc though.

cya

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:41 am »

I thought we modded the ports script to pick up a slack-desc automagickly if it was in the same dir as the pkgfile?

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:56:12 am »

exeterdad is correct. Just put it in the same directory

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

Done!

Now I'm trying to package an app that has some dependencies.  As cruxports4slack doesn't check dependencies, I will package it to be used in gslapt, but the question is:

Is dependency checking in the TODO list, or ports won't check deps in the future?