VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 04:35:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta4 Bug thread  (Read 12011 times)
kultex

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 10:25:35 am »

I just discovered the VL-LIGHT Dev thread - where to write development statements - here or there?

My computer is always out of time - and I think also others - so e.g. netdate ntp2.ptb.de on booting could help

vl-hot is only recognizing 1 disk - my big usb-disk contains 2 (without swap) partitions - only the first one is shown - see:

http://www.kult-ex.org/X11/image1.gif - I know the Primary partion after the locical swap is strange, but I never had any problems with it

I also tried to put in more usb-sticks - only the first one was recognized

Then I discovered Midori http://software.twotoasts.de/?page=midori

it is still in early development, but perhaps something for the future -  it seems to work very fast and is small

there exists a slackwarepackage in the slacky repositories, but I can not install it, because it wants

cairo>=1.4.12-i486-1_slack12.0

Not experienced with the VL way - can I deinstall the installed cairo package and install the slackware package without problems?

Skype:  The skype 2.0 installs now without any problems - but is too big for older computers (works ok on my PIII 1000, but is on the limit on a PIII 600) - there is now a skype 1.4 in the repositories, but it does not install - and the funny thing, the skype 1.4 slackware package, which worked on Beta 2 does not work any more
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:29:05 am by kultex » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:05 pm »

vl-hot is only recognizing 1 disk - my big usb-disk contains 2 (without swap) partitions - only the first one is shown - see:

http://www.kult-ex.org/X11/image1.gif - I know the Primary partion after the locical swap is strange, but I never had any problems with it

I also tried to put in more usb-sticks - only the first one was recognized
Indeed, such a partitioning scheme is weird. Still, it should work, so to diagnose this, I need you to run "tail -f /var/log/messages" (without the quotes, of course) in a terminal/console, then plug in the drive and post the output here once it stops. Do the same for the usb-sticks.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
kultex

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 12:39:34 am »

there was a problem with one flashdisk - I formatted the flashdisk new and now everything works
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:15:01 am by kultex » Logged
kultex

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 12:06:32 am »

but something seems to be not ok - I have now the second "broken" pendrive - both sticks never had any problems before

www.kult-ex.org/X11/image2.gif - very strange

I found very strange dmesg entrys: www.kult-ex.org/X11/dmesg-Vector.txt

there is no raid, no adaptec card or chip ......

Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724.
Loading Adaptec I2O RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5go
Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1-5[2437]-mh4)
aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded

perhaps this is making the troubles

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 12:21:03 am »

i would try an install with either ext3 or reiserfs xfs is known to be buggy............I have been using reiserfs for years no problems...........

vec
kultex

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:23 am »

I chnaged to reiserfs, i have the feeling, that VL is now qiute quicker, but with the stick it is the same - there are now 6 icons on the desktop - sda, sda1, sda3

here is the output of "tail -f /var/log/messages"

Apr 21 14:17:03 annis kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hc
d and address 3
Apr 21 14:17:03 annis kernel: usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Apr 21 14:17:03 annis kernel: scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage device
s
Apr 21 14:17:08 annis kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     OTi      Flash Dis
k       2.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 512000 512-byte hardware sectors
 (262 MB)
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 512000 512-byte hardware sectors
 (262 MB)
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel:  sda: unknown partition table
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Apr 21 14:17:09 annis kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: Starting vl-hot_mount...
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: devname: sda
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: volname: vol
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: Mounting /dev/vl-hot/sda on /mnt/vl-hot/sda/
vol
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: /dev/vl-hot/sda Filesystem is FAT16
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: mounting FAT16 filesystem: /dev/vl-hot/sda o
n /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: Showing desktop file vl-hot-sda-vol.desktop
Apr 21 14:17:10 annis vl-hot_mount: Finishing vl-hot_mount...
kultex

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 07:08:57 am »

I had a quick test with all my Live-CDs - Xubuntu - ok, Knoppix - ok, Puppy - Pmount - ok, MUT2 - ok but in Wolvix, there was the same thing - 4 devices and I could not mount even one. demsg had everywhere the sae entry.
In VL it mounts 3 devices and one works - so it is ok

By the way - here is the nice mounter of Wolvix - www.kult-ex.org/X11/wolvix-mount-utility.png - no icons on the dektop
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 07:23:02 am »

There are a couple of problems with the bashrc skeleton and with /etc/profile.d/vasm.sh which interfere with SCP operations (outlined in this thread).

I have been attempting to install this on an old Compaq (ugh!) and have experienced some strange anomalies and poor performance. I believe this may be owing to its use of an oddball Cyrix M2 processor, which is seemingly not completely Pentium II compatible. In particular, it may not properly support sysenter/sysexit and the enigmatic linux-gate.so.1 workaround to interrupt-based system calls (I am by no means sure of this).

Slackware 12.0 worked rather well on this system (using the hugesmp kernel), so I am wondering if the problem mightn't be with the installed VL-Light kernel (vmlinuz-ide-2.6.22.19). I will investigate this further but I have to re-install SW on this Compaq (ugh!) box and build a different system upon which to install VL-Light to check out its behavior.

I am confused about the two kernels included as the config files are identical -- does this mean that one of the kernels was built from patched source?

Also, could someone run either locate or slocate as a regular user to see if they work. On my machine they result in a "fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  Permission denied". The permissions seem to be properly in place which makes me suspect this is owing to the aforementioned processor anomaly. I did note, however, that the group for slocate is set to 'root' which does not make much sense as it is SUID for group members (on Slackware the group is 'slocate', as is the group for /var/lib/slocate).

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:32:02 am »

I am confused about the two kernels included as the config files are identical
My laptop would not boot using the default one, so an alternate was provided to cover more bases. I understand they are compiled with different IDE/SATA support.
Also, could someone run either locate or slocate as a regular user to see if they work. On my machine they result in a "fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  Permission denied".
Problem verified on P4 box.
boneygamba

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 09:28:16 am »

Also, could someone run either locate or slocate as a regular user to see if they work.

I can confirm that this does not work on my install of VL-Light (5.9) Beta4
The commands run fine when executed as root.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 06:25:31 pm »

The vl-hot launchers are not quite so clear cut, as they are dynamically created and deleted. Will look into floppy mounting (do anyone besides geeks use floppies for anything but boot devices any more?).

the wmdrawer for me is the best of both worlds, icons hidden away in a drawer with mount/umounts . the mixer and calendar/clock also auto hide. but everything is just a point and click away. cd mounts and opens xfe to cdrom, floppy mounts and opens xfe to mnt and vlhot opens xfe to vlhot...a script may be created to create a delay in opening the last folder as on faster machines it seems to open xfe/mnt/cdron to fast and you have to back up to /mnt and reopen the folder...on this box it just works.

http://files.myopera.com/dsl-o/albums/478693/image2.png

thanks for the screenshot thingy

I find that when in xfe and I open a text file in adie. adie opens and then hides behind rather than stay on top. I find this irritateing

imagemagick should be the default editor for gqwiew

I always add the xmms alarm to xmms

root xfe may be handy on the menu...I add it to the drawer

aplay in terminal, menu and drawer seems to cut .wav files...IE "one moment please" is "noment please"  files play fine in xmms

how do I check remaining drive space with out useing pcmanfm....can not find in xfe

xonclock is nicer than xclock but nice to see it on the menu

I added the chestnut dialer if anyone wants to use dialup
added from repository
 chestnut-dialer
 python
 pygtk2 (includes glade?)
 pygobject2
 libxml2
 gtk+2

type in term as root:
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
( above noted in chestnut log.. resovled risk error when attempting dial)

I added the command "mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0" to  /etc/rc.d/rc.local , at the bottom, this seems to work so I can dial after reboot,  otherwise it is required each boot

vasmcc  modem auto detect seen ttys0 (set dialer device ttyso)
add number to dial, user name and password
not sure this is set correctly for risk but seems to work fine

It should be noted that I am useing the same rooted method as in std. via: /sbin/ vsuper chestnut-dialer.  I dialed from terminal and Fluxbox menu item and from added menu item in JWM, then added to drawer
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:44:18 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 06:43:27 pm »

Also, could someone run either locate or slocate as a regular user to see if they work. On my machine they result in a "fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  Permission denied". The permissions seem to be properly in place which makes me suspect this is owing to the aforementioned processor anomaly. I did note, however, that the group for slocate is set to 'root' which does not make much sense as it is SUID for group members (on Slackware the group is 'slocate', as is the group for /var/lib/slocate).
If you've not created the database as root then you can not access it as a user. Thus one of the first things I do is run (as root):
Code:
slocate -u
I've not got Beta4 running right now though so I can't confirm what has been consistent with other renditions of VL.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 04:24:57 pm »

Okay, now I'm in beta4 and created the slocate.db as root using:
Code:
slocate -u
Then as a user got the following error using locate:
locate: fatal error: search_db: open: '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db': Permission denied

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 06:24:02 pm »

I found an issue with the permissions settings for the slocate.db file and implemented a workaround for next release.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: