VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 01:32:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD Bugs/annoyances  (Read 22101 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 11:25:32 pm »

you can just mount your ISO and install the package from it.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:02:49 am »

you can just mount your ISO and install the package from it.

Thanks! It's right there.

How many years to be with linux to know all? I guess at my age never especially when I look at the new edition of Linux in a Nutshell.

Happy New Year!

BTW I checked the latest x86-savage-* in slackware/current. It still will not start X with my savage graphic card.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 04:11:49 am »

Same problem here. I reported this back in RC1 or so but apparently it never got fixed.

Maybe a bugtracking system would do? I`ve just post a request to developers for one.

raymac46

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 05:45:40 am »

raymac46,
I realize you've reached a stopping place in your efforts. You can reinstall Compaq Setup by generating 3 floppy disks for that purpose. Just plug in the laptop's model number at HP support and find driver downloads for your laptop. There you will find the software for reinstalling Setup. If you reinstall Setup, you will lose all data on the hard disk. On laptops as old as you (didn't) describe, APM works better than ACPI, as ACPI was somewhat flakey in early versions. If you ever get the time and resolve to try again, I'm fairly confident you can find the proper combination to fix power management, ie. the fan stopping.
I do have the setup disk and used it to disable acpi in the BIOS. The fan would not run after this.
This laptop is a Compaq Armada 1700 PII 266. It features acpi that works quite well, and the VL 5.8 kernel works OK with it, starting up the fan and running it all the time. VL 5.9 does not. This is a major issue as it cannot be installed before the laptop shuts down due to overheating.
Other versions of linux like DSL 4.2 detect the acpi BIOS but won't start the fan. Puppy Linux will run the fan if you do acpi=force in the bootup options.
It's OK I am pretty happy with VL 5.8 anyway.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 10:07:04 pm »

I have VL 5.9 Standard Gold Deluxe installed on two of my four computers, with the other to follow in the next day or two. Everything major is working. WPA wireless was easily set up on my laptop. The 1.3 GHz desktop has always been very Linux friendly. The Turion laptop was a different story. I'm happy to report that all the problems of the past are gone. Sound is working, wireless is working, proprietary NVIDIA video driver installed without a hitch.

I installed Opera 9.25 by downloading from Opera's Web site. Flash is not working in Opera. I didn't install the Opera included with the ISO because it's the beta and changes the format of the e-mail (I use Opera's e-mail client on Windows and Linux and use the same e-mail files in both OSes). I haven't done any research to see if I can pinpoint why Flash isn't working.

The Deluxe version is supposed to offer a printable manual in PDF format. There is no such thing included. There are no instructions about how to install the packages on CD2 of the Deluxe version. I want to use Gslapt so I can be sure any dependencies are picked up.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 10:12:57 pm »

is there a launcher on the 2nd cd called install?
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 03:46:34 am »

Hy,
first: VL 5.9 is GREAT!

Nvidia drivers included

Cardreader recognized

Catfish included

Not so great:

Epson Perfection 1260Flatbed Scanner not recognized

Sane not available

Shutterbug gone

GTKam alows access to USB PT Class camera root-only

I will use it as playground but stay productive with 5.8 as I can not life without my scanner  Grin

Happy Gnu Year
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
LeeDB

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 02:55:19 pm »

Hello,

Just thought I would report that clicking Menu-Quit intermittently (works most of the time) fails (does nothing) on the Dell PIII-800 desktop and fails 100% of the time on the Dell PII-366 laptop.  Clicking the Quit button in the panel near the lower right hand corner works every time, so it's not a big deal.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 06:22:09 pm »

Sane not available

Shutterbug gone

sane-find-scanner is in /usr/bin. Once sane-find-scanner finds a scanner, you need to change permissions for it in/dev. sane-find-scanner tells you where sane sees it. Then as user run xsane. I have my very old Microtek ScanMaker E6 SCSI scanner working in VL 5.9 Standard Deluxe.

Instead of Shutterbug, try import for screen shots. Import is one of the utilities included in ImageMagick. See my message here ( http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4931.msg33113#msg33113 ) for information about setting it up. I created a launcher for XFce that starts import. I like it better than other Linux screen capture tools I've tried.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 06:38:55 pm »

If someone reaaaaaaaally wants shutterbug...  it's part of fox-1.6.29-i586-2vl59 in the testing repo.  Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 07:33:24 pm »

if you click the print screen button it should make a "print screen" in your home folder
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 04:52:28 am »

if you click the print screen button it should make a "print screen" in your home folder
Holy Cow!  It worked!  I had no idea. It made a PS(time and date).png in my home dir.  Life is good.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »

I've discovered that a couple of minor problems I dealt with in the RCs and thought were fixed are still with me. My WPA wireless connection didn't start automatically today. Odd, because it has started automatically at least two or three times since I installed 5.9 Deluxe on the Turion laptop. I did the fix that worked in RC2 and RC3 (put modprobe ndiswrapper in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3) and will see if wireless autostarts the next time I turn on the computer.

On the Celeron laptop with Intel 852GM graphics, the Intel driver is loaded at installation and works fine, but the next time I turn on the computer and start XFce, all text on the desktop is a light shade of gray that is almost invisible. I change the driver to vesa and everything is fine when I restart XFce. It's also okay after rebooting. I guess the hardware just isn't happy with that Intel graphics driver.
--GrannyGeek

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »

Just installed here
First impression: WoW... this is kool
Lightning fast
Sound works (on intel HD sound chip)
Video works (Intel 950GMA resolution is set to 280x800 automatically) sweet!
synaptics driver installed... good ...... but, the xorg.conf is not adjusted to do anything with the touchpad...
Wireless.... Not so good. my broadcom 4318 did not work out of the box, I had to do some wpa_supplicant hack to make it work with ndiswrapper

Annoyance: Mouse pointer theme is kinda non-pro looking ... I would have chosen a more standard theme as default

other than that, it's freaking good!... good job guys

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 03:14:09 pm »

I've had very few problems with 5.9 Standard. Its fast, stable and does just about everything I need. Very nice indeed.

I have just hit one strange problem. I installed Mplayer (mainly to keep the browser plugins happy). Yesterday I tried to use it on a move file that Xine couldn't handle. Mplayer failed as well, but the really odd thing is that now, it seems that all default associations point to Mplayer. It looks as though something has messed up the mime information for Thunar very badly. Earlier, I doubled-clicked on an HTML file in Thunar, which promptly started Mplayer. Looking through various other files, all the ones I've checked are now showin Mplayer as the default, even though none of them are multimedia files.

Is there an easy way to fix the Thunar mime settings? If nothing else, I'd like to see if this is reproducible, or just a one off glitch.

paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: