VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 12:55:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD Bugs/annoyances  (Read 21318 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 06:48:47 pm »

Weird user behavior.

If I add a user as root and then with 'mc' check the /home/user
it shows the owner and group name as user.

Then I login from the console as user and it says instead of my name: "I have no name!@~" Again checking with 'mc' /home/user it shows the owner and group name as 1000.

If I open  a desktop I cannot open terminal giving an error message I forgot to note-down. In short I am unable to work with VL59 as a user. I tried different names, delete and add them with vasm to no avail.

What is wrong and where and how to fix?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »

How exactly did you create a user? Using what commands? It may have been much simpler for you to have used VASM, SUPER, USER, ADD.
The trick with creating users with the command line is I think you have to create their group first, something like this:
Code:
groupadd -g 1000 newuser
useradd -m -s /bin/bash -u 1000 -c NewUser -g newuser -G audio,video,cdrom,games,floppy,users,scanner,tty newuser
echo newuser:mypassword | chpasswd

I don't think there is a bug in VL5.9 re creating users, works fine for me, so probably its just safer to use VASM rather than all the dangerous code above!!!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »

As root I have used vasm as well as the command line, again as root, 'adduser'. The results are the same. I will try as su and see if that changes anything.

It did not.

I have to add, as user using 'mc' and Ctrl-x-o shows no user and group names at all unlike in VL5.8. It shows, however, user and group names when I use 'mc' as root.

Chown -R user:user /home/user does not change anything and gives no error. The user is naturally a name and I have tried different names.

Something must have broken in my VL5.9 box.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:28:34 pm by Pita » Logged
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 02:51:54 pm »

Also some of the icons look strange, all faded out and with little dots. Especially with VasmCC.

the same problem with vasmcc icons on my i810 chip:

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 01:04:36 am »

Also some of the icons look strange, all faded out and with little dots. Especially with VasmCC.

Strange I don't with my i810 chip
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 01:46:08 am »

Strange I don't with my i810 chip

Did you change anything in xorg.conf?
I used the one generated by 'auto' option during install. It recognized my card properly as i810 but icons are as above screenshot.

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 01:11:48 pm »

No, nothing, used auto too.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 06:56:27 am »

There is a typo during installation. It says: "..installation will cralater", it should be "crash later", I guess

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 07:11:43 am »

There`s something broken with VLwifi, when I give my WEP password, "sexbomb" for example , then when it tries to finish, it displays on the terminal:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    invalid argument "sexbomb".

[EDIT on 2008 Jan 29]: when I typed "s:sexbomb" instead of just "sexbomb" it worked OK. Maybe the proper use of WEP pass should be emphasized a bit more.

Furthermore it cannnot activate my zd1211rw driver during boot though I checked this option.
In order to activate the interface during reboot I had to run vasm, go to WIRELESS and click activate. Ifconfig gave info that it did not work. Then I run VLwifi and then driver was activated.

vasm alone seems to not work, the same for VLwifi alone. I have use the combination of these two to make my zd1211rw driver to work.

[EDIT on 2008 Jan 29]: as above: when I typed "s:sexbomb" instead of just "sexbomb" wifi worked by only using VLwifi.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:42:49 am by Witek Mozga » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 07:42:10 am »

Which driver are you using for your i810?
I have never seen that.
does this happen ONLY on vasmCC or does it also happen in other apps (ie thunar)?

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 01:12:58 pm »

Which driver are you using for your i810?
[...]
does this happen ONLY on vasmCC or does it also happen in other apps (ie thunar)?

I`m using "i810" driver. It seems this happens only to vasmCC, other apps are OK.

[Added on 2008 Jan 12]: Other apps are not OK. When I tried to select an image for the 'devices' applet the list of the available icons was affected as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:38:47 am by Witek Mozga » Logged

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 06:33:24 am »

there is a small applet "devices" on the bottom panel which shows mounted devices. If the devices were mounted using the 'auto' option in fstab then when I click on a device to umount it, it says: "error the device should not be removed", even when the 'user' option is added to fstab. When they are initialy umnounted and then I mount them the applet works properly.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »

My wireless disappears after some hours of being up. By "disappears" I mean it stops working. It is still listed as wlan0 in ifconfig. I've had to reboot to get it working again.

Today, however, I was able to get it working by doing ifconfig eth0 down. Then I could ping the router and get a response through wlan0.

I'm going to blacklist forcedeth because I don't want eth0 to be running at all.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:39 pm »

Here's a big problem that I'm having with VL 5.9 GOLD. I installed KDE3 on it from the repos and it crashes worse than KDE4. Everything KDE related crashes. Kontact, which I'm using the most, crashes all the time. Frequently, kicker disappears randomly. The entire KDE system is in a constant state of instability. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that KDE 3 is installed in /usr instead of /opt/kde/. This is on a clean install of VL 5.9 GOLD. I tried it on a couple different systems and I keep getting the same problem. Any ideas? I need to fix this. KDE 4 is actually more stable than my current KDE 3 install. But....KDE 4 isn't as mature as KDE 3 so I'd really like to fix my KDE 3 install. EVERYTHING included in the KDE 3 from the repo crashes. This is really annoying and counterproductive.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 02:33:57 pm »

Here's a big problem that I'm having with VL 5.9 GOLD. I installed KDE3 on it from the repos and it crashes worse than KDE4. Everything KDE related crashes. Kontact, which I'm using the most, crashes all the time. Frequently, kicker disappears randomly. The entire KDE system is in a constant state of instability. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that KDE 3 is installed in /usr instead of /opt/kde/. This is on a clean install of VL 5.9 GOLD. I tried it on a couple different systems and I keep getting the same problem. Any ideas? I need to fix this. KDE 4 is actually more stable than my current KDE 3 install. But....KDE 4 isn't as mature as KDE 3 so I'd really like to fix my KDE 3 install. EVERYTHING included in the KDE 3 from the repo crashes. This is really annoying and counterproductive.
Can you try installing kde3 from a slackware repo and see if it works better on your system?
I havent had any problems with kde here but i have not installed all the packages either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: