VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Fighting to install VL7 on DELL D600  (Read 2037 times)

openpat

[SOLVED] Fighting to install VL7 on DELL D600
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:03:03 am »

Hi,

The situation is... amazing !

The D600 (512 MO RAM) goes very well with the LiveCD, but when I install (without any message error) on the HD and reboot, nor the keyboard, nor the mouse work.

is there a way to take the files of the livecd and copy them to the HD ?

Any idea would be precious :)

Patrick
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:30:11 am by openpat »

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: Fighting to install VL7 on DELL D600 - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:04:51 pm »

You could try the VL7.0 install cd rather than install from the live cd.

I installed the LIGHT version to my dell d400 from the install cd and every thing worked except the volume rocker which was easily added after install. the d400 has a Pentium m chip and preferred a non pae install as I recall. the d600 may be similar spec

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:44:18 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

openpat

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:47:17 pm »

Hi overthere and thank you for your answer.

I already tried the light edition which works OK on this machine. I was just attracted by the look and feel of this Xfce version...
Of course I could re-install the light edition and install xfce on this base but I'm not sure to be able to customize it so friendly.

Is there such a batch somewhere ? Could'nt find any...

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:46:26 am »

I did not try adding xfce to the Light install and rather installed fluxbox and customized it. if xfce is available you will find it in the gslapt package manager. update the package list after install and search xfce. it will not be customized like the std version as you may expect, but likely possible.

If the d600 has the same spec as my d400 you may find pae the issue and will have to search for non pae distros. I tried several at the time like xubuntu and solydx but not everything worked out of the box, so I was happy to find Vector Light worked perfectly and is still installed at the moment. My answer for the STD version with xfce was to install to a pae complient computer. perhaps I am off base or mistaken...just my experience with the d400 as I recall it.
Everything Is Relative

openpat

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:38 am »

Same way for me, tried  lot of distros for this old machine. It has a Pentium M inside so U can try to boot with the forcepae, but it's so slow... I use it for the moment with a debian 8 server + lxde, it's acceptable but it's impossible to listen to music and write a text in Abiword for example, which is frustating.

I'm downloading the gold edition of Vector to give it a try. Perhaps the installation process is more powerfull than the one that is embedded in the Live edition.... experience will tell us

I'll reinstall the light edition if it does'nt work and give here a feedback :)

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:27:07 am »

until then..cheers  :)
Everything Is Relative

openpat

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 01:38:50 am »

Back to debian. The Gold edition won't boot... pb = kernel/sata...

So light edition install in progress...

openpat

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 04:29:21 am »

YES !

This Pb loading kernel reminded me a previous experience and I decided to burn a CD rather than use unetbootin and it worked flawlessly. I could install GOLD edition.

I am using it now !

Edit : The problem I met came from the livecd installer

@otherthere : The difference in reactivity vs Light edition is important. I'm currently doing an upgrade with gslapt and will see after a reboot what free -m reports as ram usage. Perhaps something to see on the services side...

Edit 2 : I ended by installing LXDE meta - and it makes a big difference as far as speed is concerned ! - So the light edition might be the best solution for ole non-pae machines...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:48:22 am by openpat »

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: [SOLVED] Fighting to install VL7 on DELL D600
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »

If you happen to find a stick of ram (DDR pc2100 @266mhz) to add to your d600 it will also improve performance, in addition to lxde. I think the max is two gig..my d400 has 1 gig and is rather snappy with fluxbox.
cheers :)
Everything Is Relative