VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:51:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Firefox&Seamonkey  (Read 2400 times)
diego

« on: December 24, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

Hi everyone! I'm having problems with this browser and the youtube.com page. Everytime I finished watching a video and tried to change the page it freezes and had to kill the process. Then when I try to reopen it, asks me to switch the profile because the Default "It currently being used" but happens that nothing is running up. Can't understant, I've already changed almost all browser options but the error persist. Hope someone can help me. Thanks in Advance!

PD: Sorry for my english  Embarrassed
& Greetings from Argentina!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:17:16 am »

Diego,

This is a known issue when Firefox and Seamonkey have to be force-killed, so to speak, not just with Linux distros but also with Windows. If you ever have to kill Firefox or Seamonkey the ugly way, one way to make sure that you have killed all the firefox or seamonkey processes is to open a terminal and type "htop" (without the quotes). Htop is a process monitor that allows you to search for processes easily and then kill them.

Hope this helps,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:53:09 am »

firefox spawns processes called firefox-bin, so you should killall firefox and killall firefox-bin

-9 flag is your friend when things are getting really bad

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:53:23 am »

Whenever that happens to me I open a terminal:
ps aux | grep firefox

That will tell you all the process ID's for any running instances, often there are several.

Then I:
kill xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
the x's are the process ID's you found.
diego

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:01:09 am »

Thanks, but actually the profile bug doesn't bother me too much, my problem resides in the seamonkey inability to navigate from video to video in youtube.com. Ive got a 64 ram box, do u think is a lack of resources problem? Huh
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:08:09 am by diego » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:16:58 am »

You may be on to something there.  Youtube video's are done in flash, and flash is a resource pig.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 11:25:48 am »

I have been having the same problem with firefox.

Bigpaws
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 11:54:49 am »

I've never had a problem with SeaMonkey in 5.8 Gold or 5.9 RCs, on youtube or other flash sites, running inside a vm with 128 MB RAM. Maybe 64 MB is cutting it a bit low for Flash.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: