VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: systemd  (Read 80 times)

overthere

• Vectorian
systemd
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:23 am »

One ring to rule them all

precious
Everything Is Relative

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: systemd
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »

The majority of users don't give 2 figs whether their distro has systemd or not. All they want is a functional OS that does what they want it to do.

Quite honestly, the rage for or against systemd has been rather humorous to watch. It all boils down to whether things work as designed. For those few who hate the thought of systemd, there will be choices. For most, they don't care.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

It reminds me of the brouhaha over pulseaudio. Which, by the way, works pretty well by now. And, it remains optional.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:32:10 pm »

While I may not like the systemd design, I agree in that we need something better for init and process supervision. For example, I closed the lid of my laptop once, but I didnt realize the power manager daemon was dead. As a result, my laptop didnt hibernate and it almost melts. With proper process supervision, that wouldnt happen. I use runit now for managing services, and if the power manager dies, runit will restart it.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!