Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: vl7.1RC4.3  (Read 495 times)

crum

vl7.1RC4.3
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:28 am »
Installed STD 4.3,boot screen fixed came up fine found infamous BCM4306 adapter Desktop background tiling does not work Gslapt not doing dependencies correctly. Installed file-roller Gslapt reports good,file-roller no go,Gslapt does not report any dependencies,left file-roller installed installed gparted Gslapt reported six packages to install installed and now file-roller works and gparted works. Should disable touch pad tap to click on installation.Time has been correct after reboots.Like Animation,old computer never finishes screen before name prompt.

crum

Re: vl7.1RC4.3
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:57:12 am »
Noticed on boot message "drm does support SMP".

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:16:36 pm »
I loaded 7.1RC4.3 64 today on a dell lattitude 620 laptop and it seems to work fine.  I was able to install a much larger external lcd monitor, turned sideways (long-ways) and look forward to reading the Sunday paper on it tomorrow.  I couldn't do this with the rc4.2+ (can't remember number...last one before rc4.3). I use this machine almost exclusively for reading newspapers online at the breakfast table, so this improvement is appreciated.

I didn't use automatic this time, as I like root and home partitions, and as often happens I have trouble remembering to save gparted after I partition the drive.  And I never know why gparted asks about a boot screen, raid screen etc.  I just left those blank as the next screen after save allows me to tell machine which partitions I want to use.  However it took a couple of times before I figured that out.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:38:48 am »

I didn't use automatic this time, as I like root and home partitions, and as often happens I have trouble remembering to save gparted after I partition the drive.  And I never know why gparted asks about a boot screen, raid screen etc.  I just left those blank as the next screen after save allows me to tell machine which partitions I want to use.  However it took a couple of times before I figured that out.

John

If you go "Advanced" and then tell the installer to use existing partitions, you'll be presented with options on which partitions to use, the file format for each as well as whether you wish to partition them or not. No need to use gparted and do it the old fashioned way.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:54 am »
Thanks retired1af,

I had put the rc4.2 version on that machine a couple of days ago using automatic install.  I was amazed and pleased at its simplicity.  However, as I like my programs on / and data on /home, I couldn't use the old partitions in advanced.

John
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »
32bit

Can only login as root. Login as user I get missing Xclient file even when trying
New Login in root and being directed to terminal to exit

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 07:28:51 pm »
32bit

Can only login as root. Login as user I get missing Xclient file even when trying

When login as user and  get to the small terminal and type startx VL desktop opens.  ??? ??? ???

Setting initdefault to 2 instead of 4 I can open VL desktop with startx after login in as user.  ;) :P :-*

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:26:24 am »
32bit

When login as user and  get to the small terminal and type startx VL desktop opens.  ??? ??? ???

Setting initdefault to 2 instead of 4 I can open VL desktop with startx after login in as user.  ;) :P :-*

Hey Pita, did you set a hostname or are you using the default?
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

crum

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 11:49:44 am »
Mistake on 04/18 post " drm does not support SMP." Is this a problem? All seems to work well 4.3.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 04:59:48 pm »
32bit

Did not set a hostname therefore using the default.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:10 pm »
32bit

Did not set a hostname therefore using the default.

Set a hostname did not change anything, still no login from login window as user being directed to failsafe terminal.  :(

BTW no such problem with latest version of VL-Light.  ;D