VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Office type stuff  (Read 2356 times)

Birdman

Office type stuff
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:30:55 am »

I know that the Standard version of VL is designed with specific apps to make it light and fast. I am also aware that the SOHO VL comes with openoffice.org but this is not in the Standard 5.9 repos. My wife does use OOo and has had compatibility issues before now when I have tried to get her to use the alternative i.e. her standard templates lose their formatting etc. Also what about something for viewing powerpoint presentations - Impress does a very good job.

I suppose the question is, have I installed the wrong version of VL for our needs or is their an easy way to add some of the SOHO apps without compromising the system? I really like the 5.9 Standard - it is so light and fast and well thought out. I don't want to ruin a great system but would like to safely add a few extra things.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Office type stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:38 am »

the easiest way to get open office and more extras is to buy the Deluxe version.
OO is in the repo's but we are still moving things around in there and it may be a few ays before everything is straight.

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 07:15:20 am »

This site should get you going:

http://xlayn.blogspot.com/2007/07/slackware-12-review.html

Follow down the the Open Office installation instructions.

Bigpaws

Birdman

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:16:05 am »

Thanks for the tips.

If there is a proper VL package on its way I think I will wait. I notice that linuxpackages.net have a slackware12 package there but it has been tweaked to integrate with KDE. This makes me a bit wary.

Bigpaws, I looked at the blog and notice that the rpm tool is used. If this is used can you use it to uninstall and upgrade in the way that you could with a true rpm based system? From past experience I am trying to keep VL clean because the problems always start when you start to mix installation methods and end up not knowing what's what unless detailed notes are taken and actions can be reversed.

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:57:05 pm »

The tool is rpm2tgz. Then you install with package
tool.

You can uninstall using package tool as root in
console pkgtool.

Bigpaws

Birdman

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:31:11 pm »

The tool is rpm2tgz. Then you install with package
tool.

You can uninstall using package tool as root in
console pkgtool.

Bigpaws
Excellent. I forgot about that one. I have been in the wilderness for too long ;D

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 12:43:25 pm »

I usually get OOo from www.linuxpackages.net . The package for slackware 12 works fine for me.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

Birdman

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 01:15:43 pm »

I usually get OOo from www.linuxpackages.net . The package for slackware 12 works fine for me.
Sounds good to me. I did actually download the slackware 12 package but have held back from installing it. I guess there is nothing to lose. There is always removepkg  ;)