VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 09:04:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 schedule  (Read 16570 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: December 25, 2007, 11:20:31 pm »

I would like to get a general idea of the release schedule for VL 5.9 SOHO and VL 6.0 Std, and I would also like a clue about why we put out 5.9 instead of just moving to 6.0. What will be the difference between 5.9 and 6.0? But mainly, I would like a few tentative dates about when VL 5.9 SOHO and VL 6.0 Std will be released.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:52:12 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:33:45 am »

I would also like a clue about why we put out 5.9 instead of just moving to 6.0.
That one IS a good question. With 5.9 being a completely new build (not based on 5.8 ), 6 would have been a more appropriate name. Even more so because 5.8 and 5.9 are not really compatible. Apparently the devs seem to think that 6 will not be too different from 5.9, just nicer and flashier. Then again the difference in version numbers between 5.8 and 5.9 (0.1) is just as big, but the distro is very different from a compatibility point of view.

But mainly, I would like a few tentative dates about when VL 5.9 SOHO and VL 6.0 Std will be released.
Questions like that have only one answer: "when it's ready".

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:19 am »

The big news for 6.0 was to be a gui installer. Well, that is stalled and maybe stalled forever I don't know. While waiting on the installer way to many new developments happened so I made the decision to go 5.9 even though it's a major upgrade to much of the base system. That may have been an error in judgment but to late now. To schedule our releases is impossible based on the size of our crew 5.9 soho is next and hopefully soon but we are going to wait on kde-4 for that.  So for version 6.0 to become a reality we really need to get some development people working on the gui installer...........thats all I have for the moment.

Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:36:02 am »

I am going to add this as a side note. Would moving to debian sid as a base vs slackware help in terms of getting more developers? accomplishing the goals we have set (gui installer etc) move up our popularity in distro rankings etc etc. Just a wild thought see what you guys think?

vec
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:11:13 am »

I am going to add this as a side note. Would moving to debian sid as a base vs slackware help in terms of getting more developers? accomplishing the goals we have set (gui installer etc) move up our popularity in distro rankings etc etc. Just a wild thought see what you guys think?

vec

Dunno, I've tried Debian and didn't stick with it long. I hate header segregation.
But I don't know if that would bring us any new developers, most of the Debian-centric devs are flocking to the *buntu distros.

On the instaler side, our GUI installer is going to be very unique  (haven't seen any design like it out there). Right now I'm sitting on uncommitted code for the installer that won't compile.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 03:13:06 am by easuter » Logged

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 05:04:56 am »

Would moving to debian sid as a base vs slackware help in terms of getting more developers?

Sersiously, though, not my call since I'm not one of the developers.  A few questions though:  are the developers unhappy with the amount of work?  Are the developers and users unhappy with the pace of releases?  Does VL need to have a higher ranking on, say, Distrowatch?

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:12:02 am »

I like vectorlinux the way it is, by that I mean the slackware stability. Why would there be a need to change... more devs... hmmm.. I'd rather waith for a good superstable build of slack then more devs on a debian based system. If we wanted debian, we would be using Ubuntu don't ya think?

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 07:10:39 am »

Would moving to debian sid as a base vs slackware help in terms of getting more developers?

Seonded.
VL being based on Slackware was what drew me in i the first place.
And what makes me stick to it....

<Lame sig>
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 07:56:02 am »

I appreciate VL for its Slackware qualities. Conversely, I didnt much like the Debian community (judgmental, bureaucratic). Debian Etch stable still retained the buggy xine engine 1.1.2, and required "upgrading" to Etch unstable to fix it.  The use of names for variations of Debian (eg., Sid, Sarge) is confusing to me, as I am terrible with names, making non-functional associations through names. Ubuntu-based Mint is getting bloated (redundant), it's slow (sluggish), and requires too much memory. (Try running Mint liveCD on 256 MB ram: sux) Could VL maintain its reputation and claim of lightning speed with a Debian base? Could a Debian-based VL be customized and optimized to work on older hardware? Any reduction or sacrifice of our low-end niche would be a mistake. I have never understood why VL plays second fiddle to Zenwalk on Distrowatch. Also, I personally don't need or want a gui installer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:00:05 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:09:12 am »

Quote from: SuSE-Refugee
VL being based on Slackware was what drew me in i the first place.
And what makes me stick to it....

Aye!

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 09:48:01 am »

vec

I know this was just a wild thought you were throwing out there, But I still find it alarming and insensitive.
IMO you would lose the majority of the current developers, and most of the users as well.
If you value what you will lose less than what you think you will gain I say Go for IT!

Uelsk8s
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 10:02:28 am »

Just a wild thought see what you guys think?

The rankings on DW are flawed.

IMHO it is much better to produce something that works and
has been tested for some time. Pressure from those that
demand changes for pure looks without reason does not
make sense. If there is something that works don't change it
until it is a fact that it always works. Then start to replace
the older things.

The main reason for Slackware and these types is that the
standard CLI tools work. If someone has an old book those
commands should work. Why punish those that are not able
to get the latest books. Is that not also part of the stay with
older hardware?

Just my thoughts.

Bigpaws
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 10:49:50 am »

vec

a better web2 main website would be a good thing to do before releasing 6.  Ironing out the minor bugs,showing off vecs differences from other distros.

If you manage to attract developers from debian comunities to work on a vector-debian lightweight distro,it will be interesting to make a vector based off ubuntu or debian.Just look at how quickly linuxmint climbed the charts in therms of popularity,just by having some original ideas and cool looks ontop of a stable base.
I believe that it can be done,and it will definatelly attract new devs and users...but it should be done sepparatedly i think (other teams), but on one comunity. I actually believe that it would be interesting if it doesnt get in the way of vec-slack...and should keep vector's identity,but on another base and team. If there are two teams,both can help each other.That kind of interaction will help them both grow and would be very interesting to follow. There are not many debian based distros that are striving to be lightweight. I dont think that the new team needs to be big ,debian is a relatively stable base,but it does have its downsides-the reason i prefer vector or other slack-based distros.
Vec should be based on slack...but it will indeed be very interesting to see a version thats based on something else.It should have a different logo and name...but it must bear one identity,to bring fresh blood.

The idea of having two bases on a distro project is not new.I believe some other distros had recently did that,was it linuxmint? Roll Eyes

I too think DW ranks are not realistic. I cant get it- why pclinuxos is on top.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:57:39 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 11:09:31 am »

If you manage to attract developers from debian comunities to work on a vector-debian lightweight distro,it will be interesting to make a vector based off ubuntu or debian.

I for one, find that kind of hard to do... specially when you think about how the majority of debian and debian-based distros are. The developers and experienced users will tell you RTFM a few times before you can get an answer out of them, and the general users are almost like wind os users.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 11:13:27 am »

I know this was just a wild thought you were throwing out there, But I still find it alarming and insensitive.
IMO you would lose the majority of the current developers, and most of the users as well.
If you value what you will lose less than what you think you will gain I say Go for IT!

What are you doing in my head Uel?  Wink  I've no need to voice my opinion now as Uel nailed it.  Not that it's going to make any impact, but if Vectorlinux goes with a Debian base, I won't be aboard that train.  Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: