Well, I've being assigned as the head of IGOS Center (Indonesia, go open source) for about 2 months.
(The web site is here www.igoscenter.org, but it is in Indonesian language. Sorry)
--> Also available in English: http://www.igoscenter.org/index.php?newlang=english
Though I feel like a wanker for throwing in $.02 after a long absence (new job), here it is - grab a penny from the dish if you feel you need change:
1) Release timing:
- A solid product with significant improvements is worth waiting for.
- STD at Jan-1, followed by SOHO June-1, followed by STD Jan-1, etc. would be a nice balance.
- Slower release may be not as popular with some tinker-happy Linux fans (though maybe it is).
- What do other big players do? Apple for instance? (We all know what Windows does, releasing alphas to the public).
2) Website is in need of work. This point has been made in the past.
- Some other GNU products have had their sites re-done with the "Try Me" pizzazz and "I'm Legit" professionalism that people speak of.
could use a facelift, simplification (navigation options, etc.) and depth of content, remembering that a picture speaks a thousand words.
- And also: I think copy should be written by a non-dev, or a dev that remembers what it's like to have the understanding of a newbie again. I remember seeing "x86 platform" and thinking "Huh?", despite being a Winblows power-user.
NOTE THAT SITE HAS HAD AN UPDATE, seemingly as I typed this!!!
Improved for sure, but still a ways to go. If web-re-writes are in order, shout. I'll do my best to help out. (Come to think of it, I did a rewrite of Club Vec over a year ago, but it never made it online.)
Had a chance to try 5.9 this weekend - my first tinker in months - and greatly enjoyed, though my 5.8 install is still far too functional to give up yet!
Thanks to all for their dedication to creating a phenomenal OS. Though my forum-time has dwindled hugely, I'm still VL all the way - nothing comes close to matching it.
All the best,