VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:04:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.9 DELUXE GOLD is now available  (Read 10817 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: December 26, 2007, 12:35:16 am »

The DELUXE version of our latest release, 5.9 standard GOLD is now available from the CDSTORE. The DELUXE version differs from our standard download version both in program mix and graphics.The DELUXE version also comes with a bonus second CD full of additional programs and libraries that turns the basic system into a power system. Some of the additional features include KDE-3.5.8, OpenOffice-2.3.1, the Gimp, Amarok, Blender, dozens of games, and a complete multimedia workstation. This release is a milestone in terms of new features and development man hours. The DELUXE version funds our operation so that we can continue to bring the high quality free download version to all. Please PURCHASE your copy today!

We now have this exciting release available as a high speed download so no more waiting for the mail to arrive. This is the perfect gift to give to yourself, so get it today!! We know you will enjoy it!
Happy New Year!
The Vector Team
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:01:58 am by vector » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »

I'm burning the Deluxe CDs as we speak. I installed 5.9 Standard Gold earlier today before I knew the Deluxe CD was available. Due to Christmas and visiting children and grandchildren, I wasn't able install 5.9 Gold as soon as it came out. So today they're gone and I finally burned the CD for the free ISO. Now that brand new installation will be wiped out as I install Deluxe. So it's just as well that I didn't install the free ISO right away or I'd have to reinstall on four computers instead of just one.

I can hardly wait--this Deluxe CD has so much extra stuff included. In the past I've either bought the Deluxe version or made a donation equal to the price of the Deluxe version. This time the Deluxe version has a lot that isn't readily available in the repositories, so there was no question of whether or not to buy it.

I love the high-speed download option. I don't think I could have stood the wait if it were being mailed. Smiley  I used wget, the speed was very good, and the md5sums checked out.

Thanks to all for the hard work that has gone into this release!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:24:20 pm »

Just installed the Deluxe version. Thank you very much for the effort going into this release.
Very high speed download, and much better than the shipped cd's.

My first impression is that this is the fastest VL I've tried and looks beautiful. Loved the inclusion of amarok and k3b.

A problem on the second cd, though. The INSTALL desktop file calls helper.sh, and helper.sh calls install.sh inside the Data directory. But install.sh is on the cdrom root directory and not inside Data, giving a command not found error. Running install.sh as root does the job.

Thank you very much.
keyfitter

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:20:45 pm »

Downloaded  VectorLinux-5.9 DELUXE GOLD yesterday. I haven't gotten around to installing anything from the second CD yet. I purchased 5.8 Standard around Christmas last year and 5.8 SOHO in or around  May. It's a good thing I have lots of hard drive space as I now have three  VL installs. With any one of these three and Crossover Linux, I have no need for Windoze. Thanks for all of the hard work that went into these, and especially 5.9.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:22:16 pm by keyfitter » Logged
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »

I'm completely into supporting vector with buying, kind of want the box, and what ever goodies come in it...is it possible to do the download and have the box sent with out paying twice?

Ask Yourself

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:25:07 am »

the box you see is just a advertisement what you actually get is a jewel case, but a darn nice jewel case....................Smiley

choice is yours

cheers,
Vec
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:19:42 pm »

...oh the choices!  I just wanted something that I can display so people will know what kind of geek I am Tongue

I remember doing it when I bought win98se... 

I'll have to make the choice when I get back from my mini vacation.

Ask Yourself

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »

I already liked VL 5.9 a lot, but now I like it even more with the Deluxe edition.  Not just the stuff on the extra CD (though that is fantastic), but the bonus features on the deluxe install are well worth the small amount of money.

Maybe a coffee mug next ...

Thanks a lot to everyone involved with making Vector Linux happen.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
bujums

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »

two Questions before I buy...

#1  can I install 5.9 Deluxe on more that one computer? ...I have a laptop and a computer...and a couple of family members that I keep computers that I have installed Vector (standard 5.9)

#2  where can I see the qualifications for the computer to download on?  I have older computers and laptop.
bujums

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »

sorry please disregard...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:05:43 pm by bujums » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 04:52:16 pm »

two Questions before I buy...

#1  can I install 5.9 Deluxe on more that one computer? ...I have a laptop and a computer...and a couple of family members that I keep computers that I have installed Vector (standard 5.9)

#2  where can I see the qualifications for the computer to download on?  I have older computers and laptop.

These are very good questions, and shouldn't be disregarded Wink
#1:
      Yes. You are free from such hideous limitations.
#2:
       Such information can be found here on this forum using the search tool, however, the information is also on the vectorlinux.com web site (at current the site is still being rebuilt so it might not be there at this time, but will be).
bujums

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14:24 pm »

Thank you Masta!!

So I installed the fist disk-- A-OK  but the 2nd disk is not letting me install anything.    I tried rebooting but it does not start and I tried opening the disk.  I do see the files and tried to execute the install file even as root but nothing is happening.  Am I doing something wrong or do I need to re-download and burn?
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:48:38 pm »

A problem on the second cd, though. The INSTALL desktop file calls helper.sh, and helper.sh calls install.sh inside the Data directory. But install.sh is on the cdrom root directory and not inside Data, giving a command not found error. Running install.sh as root does the job...........sorry a bug..........but that should work.
cheers
vec
bujums

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 05:04:45 am »

Sorry but I still need help...

"Running install.sh as root" 
I did log in as Root then I opened the cdrom file, but then If I double click on the file install.sh it just brings up a note pad document... I am sure I am doing it wrong.  should I be "running" the file from a terminal?  If so, I don't know how to do that. 

p.s.   When I downloaded the file I then burned as an image.  Should I have just copied the files to a disc, like it was just data?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »

I am sure I am doing it wrong.  should I be "running" the file from a terminal?  If so, I don't know how to do that.

You'll find that double-clicking a file often doesn't run it as in Windows.
Open the Terminal, and write
Code:
sh install.sh
inside that directory (as root). That will run it, and you can see messages in the Terminal if things go wrong.
In the future, if you really want to double-click on a file to run it, you can change its permissions. Right-click on the file, choose properties, then permissions, then check "Allow this file to run as a program". Note that this is not going to work here, because you cannot change a cdrom file.

If I double click on the file install.sh it just brings up a note pad document...

You mean a Mousepad document  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: