VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 10:53:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...Everything deleted...(FYI)  (Read 2713 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 26, 2007, 02:30:51 am »

I'm just wondering if any one can help me...I was having issues with my user and the user was logged out I logged into root, and deleted the user, when I did that all the shares that my user account was logged into via samba were all wiped clean, so all my saved important data, is all gone...

Can any one offer me up any suggestion to get this data back, I know how it happend, now I'm sitting here with my jaw dropped and my thumb up my butt...

any ways I can restore this data, it was deleted remotely from a windows 2003 server...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:07:16 pm by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:45:08 am »

I'm using ontrack easy recovery...its finding everything, just hours and hours to bring it all back.

Something I wouldn't have thought would occur...

So what can be learned about all of this...if your mounted into something that allows your read/write access, disconnect physically before doing anything to that user account.  Or else Vector will foul your connected/mounted drives like a looter in a riot.

Big what the heck happened blow to my ego.  As per the norm, I figured it out, fixed it...What are all great failures but a chance to prove were capable of learning.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:46:43 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 08:04:10 pm »

Well I got some of my data back, and the stuff that is important can't seem to be restored properly...

Here's the Deal, I got the data off a single stand alone hard drive that was slaved in the server no problem.  using ontrack easyrecovery 6...

This same software can see the data on the RAID 5 drives in the server The problem, and a big one at that, as I've tried to grab the data off and it keeps pulling said data, but in pieces, its all incomplete and unusable.

Does any one know of any software that can recover files on a RAID 5, NTFS, open source or other wise.  I'm begging for some help here...I lost some valuable data to me, during my use of vector linux, and though I intend to continue using vector I am wondering if any one can offer a suggestion if nothing else.  This is almost 20 hours into trying to get this data restored.

Embarrassed

Ask Yourself

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 08:15:44 pm »

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about your mishap and it's good to know the cause.  I wouldn't think that removing a linux user that has access to mounted sharepoints would also delete those sharepoint data - that's a scary proposition.

In regards to recovering data, I've had success using a windows application called Active@ File Recovery for Windows.  This application is also included in Active@ Partition Recovery Enterprise Toolkit.

HTH and good luck!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:21:03 pm by newtor » Logged
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:22:56 pm »

Google would agree with you newtor, I'm grabbing a hacked copy as we speak...I can't seem to find the newest so I'm hoping the functionality of the newer software is still somewhat present in the older copies...

I will share my pain or successes as they may occur.

Thanks.

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:29:04 pm »

All that was lost on the server is gone...

Angry

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 06:17:55 am »

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. I did a similar thing myself, using another distro. Yes, deleting a directory will also take with it anything that is mounted below it.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 06:35:58 am »

How did you delete the user. By using
CLi tools or VASM?

One can assume that your backup failed.

I have on many occasions deleted a user
and have not had this problem.

As far as recovering the data. There are
services out there, one suggestion is On-track.

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 12:02:45 pm »

I tried on-track as posted above and it worked for the first part of the recovery...then if fouled up my files on the server and that was all I could get back, I know with recovery your playing with files at there most sensitive...so its one shot, I have excepted my loss, and put back what I had off the server in my emergency backup's...so I lost 6 months of info and music...It's a huge piss off, but what ever.  I got myself some important life experience...

as for the process in which I forced my foot up my butt.

1. the user in question could do everything except access root pass required apps via the gui's and launchers.
2. I posted on here, didn't get any responses...
3. from my windows experience I knew that on occasion the user profile would be messed up, and by removing it, rebooting and recreating it, sometimes a simple way to avoid a re-install.
4. applied this to linux...
5. my gf was watching something on the slim client, she came in and said everything just glitched out...
6. I thought someone one got into my network and was having a hay day
7. I killed my wan side of the connection, I was running logs...
8. In the process I realized that all the stuff missing was attached to my vector user...
9. Tears formed
10. I brewed some coffee
11. researched recovery software, on-track came up, grabbed a hacked version
12. tried it on data I didn't care if I didn't get back...worked.
13. tried on the stuff I wanted back, looked like it worked, started verifying the data, and it was all garbage with space being taken up but none of the files working.
14. tried to recover again with a active@ undelete
15. same issue as with ontrack
16. I noticed that the recover records had be changed since I allowed the ontrack to complete...
17. accepted my fate.
18. found the most recent back-ups (june 07)
19. estimated my losses
20. played x-men legends 2 for 8 hours straight.
21. now I'm too tired to care anymore, though I'm still trying to get in there and get some of the files I'm seeking...though I'm convinced its a fools errand at this point.

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 12:03:28 pm »

after that book I missed the question...I used vasm.

Ask Yourself

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: