VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 05:42:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: administering mass upgrades seems cumbersome  (Read 984 times)
Verlager

« on: December 26, 2007, 09:09:52 am »

Suppose I want to upgrade every VL box in my home lan from VL 5.8 to 5.9 (Computer #5 is a server).

Of course, it would be convenient if all the application programs were on the server, because upgrading would be easy, right? But, let's say the server is just for multimedia; -it just streams mp3 files and videos. All the VL-powered nodes are independent and self-contained; no $PATH to the server, except for a few shell scripts and some NFS mounts. 

I want to periodically ssh individually to the other local computers, type: ssh root@192.168.1.xxx; netpkg update; netpkg upgrade. (Or something like that.) I don't want to run all over the house in sneakers, 3x a year, formatting partitions, installing new versions, etc. Is that wrong?

Although I have never used it, I hear that upgrading is a snap in FreeBSD. Some installs have been running without a cumbersome upgrade since 1999. Yet they have the latest FreeBSD apps and kernels. VL is a wonderful and speedy little system!

Is upgrading a VL system significantly more difficult than upgrading a FreeBSD system?

Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: