VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: administering mass upgrades seems cumbersome  (Read 1074 times)

Verlager

administering mass upgrades seems cumbersome
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:09:52 am »

Suppose I want to upgrade every VL box in my home lan from VL 5.8 to 5.9 (Computer #5 is a server).

Of course, it would be convenient if all the application programs were on the server, because upgrading would be easy, right? But, let's say the server is just for multimedia; -it just streams mp3 files and videos. All the VL-powered nodes are independent and self-contained; no $PATH to the server, except for a few shell scripts and some NFS mounts. 

I want to periodically ssh individually to the other local computers, type: ssh root@192.168.1.xxx; netpkg update; netpkg upgrade. (Or something like that.) I don't want to run all over the house in sneakers, 3x a year, formatting partitions, installing new versions, etc. Is that wrong?

Although I have never used it, I hear that upgrading is a snap in FreeBSD. Some installs have been running without a cumbersome upgrade since 1999. Yet they have the latest FreeBSD apps and kernels. VL is a wonderful and speedy little system!

Is upgrading a VL system significantly more difficult than upgrading a FreeBSD system?

Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll