VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:25:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting in to Vector  (Read 1410 times)
LeeDB

« on: December 26, 2007, 12:47:46 pm »

Hi All,

I first got interested in Linux last summer when trying out XASTIR - http://www.xastir.org.  I ended up trying several distributions under VMware on a Windows box at home.  VectorLinux 5.8 standard is one of the Virtual Machines I set up to try with XASTIR, and I was intrigued by it.  More recently in my Linux experience I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on my laptop at work - no more Windows on the Dell 620!  While I like OpenSUSE 10.3, Kubuntu 7.10, and Mandriva 2008 (they are fine on machines with plenty of memory and CPU power), VectorLinux is my choice for the 2nd computer at home, which is a Dell L800r desktop.  I believe it has a Pentium III 850Mhz CPU and 256MB of RAM, and VL runs great on it.

From what I have read so far, this seems like a very nice forum, and I look forward to participating.

Lee
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:29:32 pm »

Welcome to the community! Smiley

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:55:11 pm »

Welcome to VL Lee!  You already seem cool.  Must be because we share a name  Wink

Lee
LeeDB

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:26:43 pm »

Thanks for the welcomes!  I already received good help yesterday after posting a question, and I have VL running on another machine at home now - an old Dell PII-366 laptop.  VL detected the wireless DLink PCMCIA card that happened to be installed in it  - all I had to do was go into WiFiRadar and click the ifup required box in the preferences, and presto, I could see the network.  I'm 2 for 2 now with VL 5.9 already having the driver for my wireless device.  I'm writing this from the laptop now - it was running Windows 2000 previously and was very slow.  Thanks to VL, new life has been breathed into it - very cool.

My wife is Canadian, so she says "of course" VL is a good distribution.   Smiley

Lee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: