VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: xircom card & tosiba 1550 cds  (Read 1430 times)

wph

xircom card & tosiba 1550 cds
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:19:27 pm »

Hi,

I've been trying to get linux operating on a toshiba satellite 1550 cds. I've tried vl 5.9 but it doesn't seem to recognise the hard drives. I installed vl 5.8, which went find except it locks up when inserting a xircom 10/100 16-bit card. After various experiments, I tried installing from an old vl 4.3 disk I found around the place. INstallation went fine. When booting up the system, it detects tha card manager and identifies the card correctly. However when it tries 'modprobe xircom2ps_cs' the system locks up completely (as it did for vl 5.8 and xubuntu 7.1).  I have no idea where to start looking or whether there are some boot switches which might help. Thankyou if you can help me on this.

wph

Re: xircom card & tosiba 1550 cds
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:43:03 am »

success (I hope)

I disabled the onboard modem, com1 & lpt1 - I had to set the bios to explicitly see the 16-bit cardbus. the xircom card is now recognised without locking up the system. xubuntu is installing now, and i'll test vector soon