VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 11:42:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube freezing: VL 5.9 vs Puppy  (Read 2705 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: December 27, 2007, 09:15:52 am »

Let's say I am viewing YouTube at 5 PM Eastern USA and Firefox is freezing constantly. In Puppy I hit Cntl+Alt+Backspace and the system crashes to command prompt, I type "xwin" and recover a clean desktop in 5 seconds, and I can start afresh. If I hit Cntrl+Alt+Backspace in VL 5.9, I crash to Login, and when I get back to desktop in 10 seconds, I open Firefox and it says that Firefox is already running and I gotta close it or restart. Well, I have to restart of course, which amounts to a minute or two of waiting (PITA). Is there a way that Cntl+Alt+Backspace could close Firefox, so I dont have to reboot VL 5.9 after a freeze at YouTube? Please note that if I use Kill function to close Firefox, I still have to reboot.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:31:52 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:30:42 am »

have you tried opening a terminal and running "killall firefox-bin"?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:50 am »

In console type ps aux find the offending process and
the kill -HUP <process id> works.

Bigpaws
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:02:26 am »

have you tried opening a terminal and running "killall firefox-bin"?
That will probably work. YouTube isn't busy right now, have to test later. Thanks
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:20:37 am »

I open Firefox and it says that Firefox is already running and I gotta close it or restart.

Try searching your hidden FireFox directory for a "lock" file. For example:

find ~/.mozilla/ -name lock
/home/saul/.mozilla/SaulGoode/m3d26dz7.slt/lock

Delete that file and you should be able to start a new instance of FireFox.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:16:44 pm »

Boot to init 2 rather than init 4 and everytime you do ctrl/alt/backspace your X session will terminate and 'startx' to get back in.  This is closest to the puppy method you can get.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:56:11 am »

Boot to init 2 rather than init 4

Using "killall firefox-bin" seems to be working. Just out of curiosity, how does one boot to init 2?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:02:38 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how does one boot to init 2?

In VASM > SUPER > SERVICE > BOOTSET you can choose 2 as the default runlevel for booting.
Alternatively, you can keep runlevel 4 as the default, but if you're using lilo as the bootloader, you should have an option for booting into textmode which boots into init 2. In /etc/lilo.conf, you should have a line in the textmode option that contains the line
Code:
append = "2 "

As for browser freezing, my solution was to write a two-line script that kills and then restarts the browser, like this.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall seamonkey-bin
seamonkey &
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: