VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 04:05:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The xfce4.4 Logout (Quit button) Bug  (Read 2477 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: December 27, 2007, 11:24:47 am »

We now all know that xfce4.4 in VL5.9 has a logout bug, in that, sometimes, going to Menu, Quit does not bring up the Shutdown menu as it should. This is definetely an xfce bug as reported here: http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1109

Note that Comment 7 in the bug finds this solution:

adding a g_usleep(10000)
before the call to g_idle_add_full in xfce4-session-logout/main.c:115 solved
the problem for me. Or at least it reduced the failure rate from about 50% to
less than 0.5%).

What would be involved in providing a patch to VL users for that here on our forum?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:50 pm »

I have made the patch and built a new xfce4 package that is uploaded to the testing repo.
xfce4-4.4.2-i586-4vl59.tlz
If you can upgrade and test that it helps at least some, without breaking anything else it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »

I recently found a seemingly inverse correlation between RAM and the "Quit bug". In a 64 MB vm, failure rate was around 100%, while at 512MB, it was around 0%... Undecided

EDIT: with 5.9 and XFCE 4.4.2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:16:54 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:18:49 pm »

Joe1962,
I think this may fix that.
I found in a low ram box the same. I clicked quit then remembered to do something else and the logout screen popped up about 5min later. Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 03:41:12 pm »

I clicked quit then remembered to do something else and the logout screen popped up about 5min later. Smiley
LMAO... Roll Eyes

I think I'll just stick to the quit applet on the right side of the panel, it works a treat 100.1 % of the time... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:10:40 pm »

I have made the patch and built a new xfce4 package that is uploaded to the testing repo.
xfce4-4.4.2-i586-4vl59.tlz

uelsk8s: thanks for your great efforts. I upgraded to that package on my test system. It still does not solve the Quit button bug, but it does reduce the occurrence of the problem. It happens about 50% less frequently for me than it did before, but for newbies this is probably not good enough. And its not worth the effort for most to do this upgrade when they can just use the Panel Exit Button.

Anyways, thanks for trying, I might add a comment to this effect at the xfce4 bugsite so folks know that that developer's solution does not always work. Otherwise that new xfce4 package did not seem to break anything...

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
agrismusic

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:54:10 am »

I have a TP600E with 256 RAM, I had this problem with 100% probabilty. I've changed from KDM to XDM and the problem is gone now, I can do shutdown and logout from XFCE. Unfortunataly oh so beautiful XDM VL login screen from the version 5.8 is gone and I cannot choose session with the butt ugly one provided with X. Or was it GDM? Anyways it doesn't seem to be in the repo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: