VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:42:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gslapt update problem  (Read 1111 times)
shahgols
Vectorite

« on: December 27, 2007, 09:52:52 pm »

Hi all,

I am running 5.9 Final on my laptop.  When I run gslapt, and try to mark all upgrades, a tooltip says "Function disabled for VL" and it doesn't mark any upgrades.  I searched the forum and this was reported in 5.9 RC2 GeekGranny but I'm not sure if it was fixed or not?  Tx.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:15:19 pm »

I think the devs disabled it because it generally causes more problems than solutions. There is no need of a full upgrade, and less given the fact this release has a week of live.

Oh, and is GrannyGeek Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:32:41 pm »

You know, I had her nickname right the first time, and then I erased it and switched the words.  Sorry GrannyGeek, it won't happen again.

So, how would we be able to apply any fixes to programs?  Or is that what you were referring to as being disabled?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:41:44 am »

So, how would we be able to apply any fixes to programs? Or is that what you were referring to as being disabled?
The "mark all upgrades" function has been disabled, because unnecessary upgrades caused havoc quite a couple of times. It fits in the "If it ain't broken don't fix it" philosophy a lot of us here have. I haven't done an "upgrade" in over a year. Guess what? I haven't had any trouble because of this.

Blind upgrading of everything causes trouble on every distro every now and then. If you really want to be part of them you can still do it with slapt-get. To see what will be upgraded,you can use
Code:
slapt-get --simulate --upgrade
To install all the available newer versions:
Code:
slapt-get --upgrade

If there is a particular piece of software you want upgraded, you can just search for it in gslapt and upgrade it manually. \

Keep in mind: a higher version number is no guarantee for better quality.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:23:04 pm »

Thanks Headacher, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I was wondering that when I am upgrading and it upgrades some files, it's probably fixing bugs that I might have run into in the future.

Also, maybe there are security fixes as well.   

Are the upgrades categorized so that I can only apply the security patches?  Is that possible?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: