VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:35:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy User: Vector 5.9 Gold  (Read 1506 times)
platform

« on: December 28, 2007, 02:32:37 am »

Over the holidays decided to install linux on
512MB Amd Semptron 2400+ with 40 GB hardrive, Nvidia Gforce 4000 MX with 128Mb

Tried the latest 'holiday' releases
of:
(SAM (based of PCLinuxOS - release candiate 1 for 2008 (code name 'claw')
Mandriva - 2008.0 CD (not the pro version)
PuppyLinux 3.0.1 R3
Mepis (Dec 20, 2007 release)

---------------------
Requirements were simple
a) NVidia compatible drivers
b) Good PDF support throughout (so docs can be created and viewed in PDF easily without trouble)
c) Full support of all the Multimedia (Webbrosing with video files embedded in,
Movies, MP3 files)
d) Ability to use Opera (in addition to firefox) -- and such that all the plugins work for flash/etc
(although this was not 'top' priority' for me)

e) Minimal use of hw resources (KDE is slow)

f) Wine with all the features possible (eventually I want to install a couple of Windows programs including
games)

g) Keyboard should be configurable to switch between English and Russian Phonetic keyboards
---------------------------
SO Vector Liux 5.9 Gold is simply exactly what I wanted (although I have not installed wine yet,
and did not figure out how do g) )

Basically it setup from the beginning exactly how I would want to be setup only better -- even
font sizes on my screen are exactly I would want them.

The choices that the developers appeared to make to are very good through out the system:

When I boot into graphic desktop my memory is at 99MB, when I start Firefox and view
www.foxnews.com    -- I get 122Mb of memory used -- this is very very reasonable.

Choise of XFCE for window and file manager is also correct -- because it has the best ratio
of speed/light resource utilization /  richness of functionality.

All the windows pop up immediately, all the button clicks are responding right a way.
No dragging window refreshes -- or harddrive swappings.
Only slow part is my internet connection (which is expected)

Oh.. I forgot one more thing -- this is the only distro that let me try out XFS (I always wanted to try
out a faster file system (if possible) -- and while did not measure the speed - I am a happy XFS user.
:-)

The only other distribution that was close in terms of selecting the right set of applications for the GUI
desktop/webbrowser/PDF support was Puppy Linux -- but I had trouble installing it on a regular HD partition
(it appears to be designed to be installed on flash drives.

SAM Linux (based on PCLinuxOS) -- is notably slower (even though XFCE is used -- I am not sure why -- probably more services are running on the background).  But the biggest problem was that they have the New release of Firefox (2.0.0.12) and Flash plugin crashes the browser when viewing movies -- no other choice
for installation was presented (this is was the latest -- Candidate release for 2008 (not final).  Also Opera
could not use any of the plugins (like Flash plugin)

Mandriva with KDE was just in general slow.

and MEPIS -- this is probably just my mistake -- but for some reason, after it got installed it did not boot into the desktop, may be my CD was bad and something did not get installed.

But just by accident while clicking on torrent downloands from Linux Distro watch, I almost by accident clicked
also on Vector -- and that's how I got it downloaded (otherwise I have not heard of it before).

Thank you for the great job guys.

P.S.  I started using lInux is '94 -- first with Slackware, then Debian up til '98, then from '98 till l 2000
was FreeBSD,  and then stopped
now 7 years later I am coming back and finding linux is fast and distros like yours make it user friendly.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:52:04 pm by platform » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:25:57 am »

Welcome, that's quite an introduction you wrote there!

SO Vector Liux 5.9 Gold is simply exactly what I wanted (although I have not installed wine yet, and did not figure out how do g) )
I usually get me a wine package from www.linuxpackages.net . Since VL 5.9 is built on Slackware 12 the package for slack12 works fine for me. Not sure about how to switch keyboard layouts.

But just by accident while clicking on torrent downloands from Linux Distro watch, I almost by accident clicked
also on Vector -- and that's how I got it downloaded (otherwise I have not heard of it before).
Well, that was a lucky coincidence then Wink.

now 7 years later I am coming back and finding linux is fast and distros like yours make it user friendly.
I've been a happy VL user for quite some time now. Even if not everything is as user friendly as it might be, I still think the devs are doing a great job. Everytime I tried something else I just wished it was more like VL.

Enjoy your time with Vector Linux!

ps. I moved your post to "introducing yourself", since it seemed to fit there better.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:50:35 am »

Welcome to VL platform!  Your review of VL was great.  Our devs try hard to please the majority of users, but as you clearly understand, it's just not possible.  Thanks for being so optimistic about the parts of VL that didn't quite fit your needs. Often new faces here are quite abrasive about a simple font setting or checkbox not being set to their liking right out of the box.

Glad to have you here, and feel free to ask anything.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:00:19 pm »

Hi and welcome, this is a very international distribution by the users of this forum.  I quite like Sam, but it is slow.  Vector for me works because of the community, and you are a very welcome addition to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: