VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 12:42:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugtracking system - proposal to developers  (Read 8772 times)
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« on: December 28, 2007, 04:09:30 am »

Hi,

I have a request to developers: could you arrange some kind of bugtracking system? I noticed that many bugs reported already are still persistent. I imagine that when a bug is reported by a user, a developer records it to the bugtracking system. Then its status can be trackable: fixed or being worked on, etc. Currently I am under the impression that some bugs are ignored or forgotten which seems a bit annoying for those who keeps reporting them.

What do you think?

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:47:03 am »

I vaguely remember a topic like this a while ago...
If my memory serves me right, there was a bug tracker set up for VL, but then nobody used it  Roll Eyes

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:13 am »

This would be a really kool feature and would help boost production IMO.
I say we need it

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:57:35 am »

I agree.  User input about the way things work is easily buried undiscovered in the forums.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:32:32 am »

Amen to that. And it would be nice with a "list of known issues" with every release.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:15 am »

I agree.  User input about the way things work is easily buried undiscovered in the forums.

exactly
it'd be nice to have what nightflier said, and have the devs update the status of the bug reports instead of just a thread that gets flooded with things people like and dislike about the release

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:22:33 am »

IIRC, there was an article in the recent past (maybe cait linked to it) indicating that a bug-tracking system is one of the aspects of a distro that increase it's "professionalism" (for lack of a better word).

I'd like to see an official bug-tracking system as well.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:35:39 am »

me too.
anyone know of a good free one?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:24:38 am »

me too.
anyone know of a good free one?

Bugzilla: http://www.bugzilla.org/
Trac: http://trac.edgewall.org/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:37:17 am by easuter » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 10:35:26 am »

I like edgewall.org

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:52:56 am »

Guys... this idea crops up every so often and I have to keep saying the same thing... Wink:

We already had a bugtracker, but nobody would use it, it finally died of natural causes... Roll Eyes

In fact, we had 2, the one on our SourceForge project page is still there last time I looked, it just needs some more sub-projects and categories... Smiley

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:59:15 am »

How about a bug report subforum with posting rules?
1 bug per thread
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 12:05:02 pm »

Hmm... Now that I re-read my post I hope I didn't come across the wrong way... I believe we seriously need a bugtracker. I was just stating the sad fact that we've have never managed to get people (even the devs) to use them.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:59 pm »

Hmm... Now that I re-read my post I hope I didn't come across the wrong way... I believe we seriously need a bugtracker. I was just stating the sad fact that we've have never managed to get people (even the devs) to use them.

My guess would be to make bugtracker usage a rule and enforce it via moderation. We just need someone who can discern whether problems are most likely third-party software bugs or Vector's problem.

(And, yes, I think I have the time to do that.)

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 12:47:40 pm »

If my memory serves me right, there was a bug tracker set up for VL, but then nobody used it  Roll Eyes

What do you mean nobody? If you think that forum users are supposed to record the bugs directly, well, this not a good idea IMHO. The users are not to blame. I imagine that developers are those who should record the bugs from the forum to the system. They must track bugs anyway, so why not to avoid mess and make it clearer?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: