Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Drive mounting  (Read 1968 times)

roalush

Drive mounting
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:01:55 am »
I 'm completely new to Linux.
Just installed VL on my old machine and so far I've found it fast and stable so I'm very pleased.

My problems are:

1.  I created a partition for the VL setup (8 GB)  and another for my data (12GB) after installation I've found out that VL used the second partition as a swap partition and I can't find it on my system. Tried to re-partition with VASM but when I rebooted nothing changed.

2. I have 2 optical drives: Pioneer DVD-ROM and Samsung CD-RW. The CD-RW works fine But the dvd doesn't respond at all (I have a /dev /dvd in my devices but it doesn't do anything when I mount it).

3. I don't have a codec for DVD playback.

I tried some solutions I've found on the forums, but I couldn't edit the fstab file , how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:04:30 am by roalush »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Drive mounting
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:57:27 am »
Hi roalush

Could you post the output of running fdisk -l as root from the command line? Open a Terminal, type su and then your root password. Then fdisk -l.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:45:18 pm »
I tried some solutions I've found on the forums, but I couldn't edit the fstab file , how do I do that?

You have to be root to edit /etc/fstab. In a terminal type su and then the root password. Then start a text editor (for example, mcedit if you're at a console, mousepad if you're in XFce). Edit and save.

Since you're new, I recommend copying /etc/fstab to something like /etc/fstab_old before you do any editing of /etc/fstab.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

roalush

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:31:26 am »
Maybe you can help with my DVD problem.
I have 2 devices connected to the same IDE:
HDC - Pioneer DVD-ROM as master.
HDD - Samsung CD-RW as slave.

VL only recognizes HDD.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:34:31 am by roalush »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:32:25 am »
Please post the content of your /etc/fstab file here.

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:07:36 am »
Since you're new, I recommend copying /etc/fstab to something like /etc/fstab_old before you do any editing of /etc/fstab.
--GrannyGeek

Sage advice. One could also set up the editor to back up files. :)
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months