VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:06:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.9 Std on Old Compaq Desktop  (Read 1942 times)
raymac46

« on: January 01, 2008, 05:04:28 pm »

I have used (and continue to use) Vector Linux 5.8 Std. on a Compaq Armada 1700 laptop. I tried an install of VL 5.9 on the Armada but ran into problems because the latest release will not run the cooling fan and the laptop overheated during installation. Back to 5.8 there.
However, I have successfully installed VL 5.9 on a 1999 era Compaq Presario 5360 desktop system. This old desktop has a K6-2 450, 100 MHz bus and I've upgraded it to 320 MB RAM.
When I tried VL 5.8 a few months ago, I got a very bad display thanks to the Compaq's very Linux unfriendly SiS 630 onboard graphics. I replaced the onboard card with an ancient ATI Xpert98 video adapter and used the ati open source driver.
With this combination I have now got a beautiful user friendly operating system that works pretty fast compared to Gnome or KDE based distros.
I had to add acpi=force and pci=noacpi to the boot options in order to to get the Presario to power off - while at the same time avoiding some misunderstandings between X and ACPI that were resulting in rrreeeppppeeeeaaatttiiiinnngggg letters when typing in graphical mode.
I'm hoping to give this refurbished system away to someone in my town who doesn't have a computer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:36:44 am by raymac46 » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »

Hi raymac46!

I used to have a sis chipset on my desktop too (it passed to better life recently) and the sis driver never worked. Vesa was my friend.
I am having some troubles with acpi too in my old lappy, I think a kernel recompile is in my future. I am planning to load the stock .config and just tweak some acpi options if I can make the time. I will let you know if that works. My lappy is usable though, the fan starts before reaching the critical temp.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
raymac46

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:32:06 am »

On my old Compaq desktop with SiS even the Vesa driver gave nasty black lines in the display. Only XVesa server would work with certain distros and this resulted in screen flicker on a CRT monitor.
The Compaq laptop works great with VL 5.8. The fan switches on at boot and runs continuously. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the fan to run with VL 5.9.
Both of these are old Compaq systems I got from a recycling store. Compaq isn't really the best system to convert to Linux, unfortunately.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: