VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 03:28:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.9 hates my computer, bumpy start to 5.9 for me  (Read 1396 times)
oldexplorer

« on: December 30, 2007, 02:50:31 am »

I spent hours trying to install 5.9, but the monitor turns itself off whenever I get to the point in the install where monitor resolution is asked for. The monitor is a normal Dell 17 inch that works with everything I've ever thrown at it. Then I can't see what I'm doing and have to pull the plug. On restart it just throws me into command-line hell. Also there's no sound. I've been through the install many times choosing every possible route through the settings, and it gets me nowhere. 5.8 installed like a dream - everything was totally perfect and functional, like a Swiss watch. My PC is a Dell Dimension 2400 with on-board graphics and sound.

Vector has moved further away from being newbie-friendly, and the comments thrown up during various install crises are very geeky and cryptic.

**EDIT**

Just tried again and it's now OK, with apparently correct function. Sound is now working, DVD playback is correct. It was just a matter of hitting the right combination of guesses.

The icons in VASM still look weird - ghosty and rough. Are they supposed to look like that? Now OK.

So - a very bumpy start, and still plenty of testing/play to have a look around 5.9, but looks hopeful now Smiley

------------------------
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:41:19 am by oldexplorer » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:27:56 am »

for starter try to choose the lowest resolution or lowest X setting at the X server configuration.......
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:38:01 am »

I spent hours trying to install 5.9, but the monitor turns itself off whenever I get to the point in the install where monitor resolution is asked for
Probably this has nothing to do with Vector Linux install - this is likely your BIOS monitor suspend kicking in - all you need do is push any unused key on the keyboard (for instance the Shift key) and your monitor will spring back to life.
Also there's no sound
Stilll, after a successful install? If so put a music CD in the player, boot up XMMS to play it and open alsamixer in a terminal and adjust the mixer settings.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
oldexplorer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 02:56:20 pm »

I spent hours trying to install 5.9, but the monitor turns itself off whenever I get to the point in the install where monitor resolution is asked for
Probably this has nothing to do with Vector Linux install - this is likely your BIOS monitor suspend kicking in - all you need do is push any unused key on the keyboard (for instance the Shift key) and your monitor will spring back to life.
Also there's no sound
Stilll, after a successful install? If so put a music CD in the player, boot up XMMS to play it and open alsamixer in a terminal and adjust the mixer settings.

It's all working correctly now, including sound Smiley

I had an occasional BIOS monitor shut-down - I'm very familiar with these, and as you say, hitting any key brings back the display. The monitor shut-down I'm referring to happened about 4 times - each time at EXACTLY the moment that I chose a resolution from the displayed list, including the one that was correct for my monitor (1024x768). After several install attempts this shut-down became completely predictable and repeatable. I didn't choose anything over 1024x768 or of incorrect screen proportions. I think that on my eventual successful install run I chose something that avoided taking me to the list of screen resolutions - but I can't remember how I did it.

What a relief lol...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: