VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: 5.9 Hard Disk Detection on old laptop  (Read 3649 times)

wph

5.9 Hard Disk Detection on old laptop
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

Hi, I'm trying to install vl 5.9 on a toshiba 1550 cds. When I boot of the vl 5.9 std cd, it starts up OK, but when beginning to install it comes up with a message that it can't find the hard disk. Now, the hard idsk is definitely operational as I was able to boot off it with the o/s that was already on it. Is there some problem with the detection in the new vl version?

Thanks for any help

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: 5.9 Hard Disk Detection on old laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:40 am »

do your PC/laptop using IDE or SATA HDD?
what is the error show?

wph

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:30:33 pm »

after the opening prompt, linux boots off the cd, and then comes up with the confirmation to begin installation. I press [Enter] and get a dialog box:

Fatal Error
Excuse me I cannot find any hard disk for installation. Maybe you are using a new technology my author didn't have.  etc.

Pressing enter again I get the console prompt.

I tried dmesg but didn't really know what detail to look for. The only ide reference was that it was assuming a 33MHz system bus.  It also seemed to pol for other drivers eg. raid & seagate st0x/  etc. & wd-700

now, I reinstalled vl 5.8 and it installed without a hitch (except I had to specify the vesa driver, but  that's no biggie).

on another note, I tried installing vl 5.9 on a small toshiba 4000 something. Seemed to go OK, except it hung on detecting the legacy opl3a sound chip.

Thanks if you can give me any help. I got vl 5.9 running on a virtual machine and it looks brilliant.

wph

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:37:53 pm »

I should add also that I grabbed this from a spec. sheet for a toshiba 1555cds (mine is a 1550 but that was all i could find - it looks consistent).

ALL-IN-ONE DESIGN
HDD
Removable HDD (2.5” Enhanced IDE) 4.3 billion bytes (13msec) – Service Removable
Certification SMART Height 8.45mm Buffer 512KB
Burst Data Transfer Rate Ultra DMA33 Mode2 (33.3MB/sec), Multiword DMA mode 2 (16.6MB/sec),
PIO Mode 4 (16.7MB/sec)
FDD (3.5” 1.44MB; 12.7mm high) Yes
Simultaneous FDD & CD-ROM Support Yes: two independent internal units

when i drop into the console after the setup message appears, i try 'probedisk'  and nothing is returned. I tried editing out the check in the script, the setup continued and then declared that it couldn't find a cdrom.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:00:17 pm by wph »

wph

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:02:25 pm »

what kernels are available for booting with in 5.9?

I also tried 5.9 live b1   which fell over with a fatal error (a message something along the lines of 'this should never happen').