VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 05:13:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is there an easy way to set up samba server?  (Read 4355 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 30, 2007, 10:54:01 am »

I'd like to setup samba to for both linux and windows access

I need guest access for some shares read-only

I need user/pass access for read/write with specific share points.

What would I have to do to accomplish this? Is there any easy tools to assist?

I'm looking for a break down in terms of what you'd do on the server, and what would be required to be done on the client side.

Many thanks in advanced Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:27:46 pm by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:34:25 pm »

This howto is getting a little long in the tooth, but should give you the general idea:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=84.0

Server side overview:
- Install the samba server and set it to load on boot.
- Create the samba users and set passwords.
- Create the shared directories and set permissions.
- Edit the config file to serve up the shares and set permissions.

Client side:
- Install samba and connect to the shares using smb/cifs mounting or just directly through Konqueror in KDE.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:41:29 pm »

I found this very useful when it came to setting up Samba:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

paul.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 01:34:28 pm »

Awesome Smiley I'll think I'll give this a go when I'm done getting my data back ups and array changes...you guys always impress me with your willingness to help and more often then not 1 stop info.

I spent most of last night fixing my buddies computer...bugger cooked his cpu, I cleaned it fixed some bent pins (...never doing this again). reapplied the silicon, shopped around and found a cheap but effective cooler, and some awesome case fans.  I'm just loading it back up as we speak, currently its running under clocked till I can figure how much of cpu is still intact.  It boots and runs stably at 50%, I'm gonna bench mark it, then crank it till I find a good stable zone, with an optimum heat level.

check this stuff out, I replaced all my side case fans with the arctic cooling ones...Cheesy
High performing, quite, cheap k8 heatsink
High performing, quite, cheap case fans

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:37:19 pm by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:35:54 pm »

question...Can I have a share, that is both shared with samba, and with NFS?  Will that work with out conflicts or read errors?  My server if finally backed up and I'm about to recut it as

320gig mirror
640gig stripe

Issue 1

My preferred bit torrent client...I use an older version of utorrent as it works across all the private trackers I use...I got it working in Linux using wine, but it had reduced downloading performance, it capped out at 30kB/s on stuff I tested on a windows box and got 560kB/s

Can this be fixed?  Or will I have to use two different Linux compatible clients?

Issue 2

I'm still a little filibustered about how to create a back up in linux... I've read a few things that were posted in another thread and though they look promising the actual deployment is still kind of messing me up.  I would appreciated any one that could give me more reading material I'm looking for something thats pretty much cookie cutter setup...with examples and what not.

Question, do samba shares have to be formated as ntfs/fat32, or does samba account for that?

Issue 3

Debian or Vector for my o/s??? (leaning towards vector but now sure if I'll be able to accomplish this)

If vector, use 5.9 or 5.8 soho? (I've only run 5.9 but again just asking for opinions.)

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:41:02 pm »

I totally missed your link nightflier

I'm checking that out right now...will this work in vl 5.9?

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:11:52 am »

another question...probably the most important, could a in between newbie and intermediate Linux user setup a working samba server, with rsync or rbackup in 2 days, as thats all the time I have left before I'm taking a small trip then back in school.

I need remote access to the box doing the serving
I need 3 users with read write access
One guest with read-only

For 7 shares 3 read/write, 4 read-only (for guest but full read/write for users)

Ask Yourself

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:46:33 am »

The answer is yes you can.

Like I mentioned earlier for a simple backup that
is fast and clean here is the command:

rsync -a /directory to backup /directory to backup to

That is a quick one way backup. You can read up
on Unison for later.

The samba server should not be that difficult either.

If you are administering remotely learn CLi and ssh in
or a VPN. Webmin from what I hear is nice but if that
port is open expect your  logs (you do monitor them right)
will fill up quickly. You could use port knocking if you
demand GUI control.

Bigpaws
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:16 am »

ok well I just finished the worst day of my life...but its on the up curve now.

Data is backed up and critical stuff is double backed.
I got hit by a hardcore network virus...it took out 3 of my 4 machines, installed apache with open broadcast on all of them and locked out the computer console....That was a fun ordeal, lots of people in china were playing in network for 5 minutes, or so my logs said.  I've heard of bated software on the net but man, never got hit that hard.  Spent 2 hours changing passwords...They didn't get much though.

I downloaded a new version of windows, one of the unattended ones from www.h33t.com ...was installing it on my buddies box, and it just wouldn't go, for that computer, I had to repair his cpu, install fans, get a new heatsink and mod the heatsink so it would fit correctly in his tower...then that all figured out I'm still get blue screen of death every time I try and install windows, as he turned down my offer to vectorize him.  I had the cpu underclocked for a bit, seemed to help...just banging my head on a wall forever.

Then I finally successfully install windows...I put it on the network bam, his machine goes dead, the gf's and the server didn't die but it wasn't reachable...I'm like CRAP...So I kill the internet connection. unplug and check all the machines, the only one untouched is mine, as I swapped my network cable to get his online...had to go through every possible website that user info could've been snatched for.  Could only use my machine and time was against us.  They hijacked a few of my torrent sites and one of my email accounts, all recovered and safe.  My GF got hit harder, we got all her accounts back in our control but they had access to her epost which had bank info. so shes got a new mastercard, and bank account number, and they took over her yahoo account.  All of which is recovered.  My fingers were sore after going at that.

So that how I spent my night.  Then as I get out an older safe copy of xp...get it going and now its BSOD (if you don't know what this is, your a lucky person), failed install after failed install...I hit the net, find a huge list of possibles for this board and the hardware combo...sorted it out, the ram had to be under clocked, cool'n'quiet had to be disabled as on his board if your using a sata drive there's some sort of conflict, and the ram would only remain stable in single channel mode.
After all that and multiple issues, I got the os installed, hit it with cpu burning tests, and 3dmark...Stable as a rock.  only took 10+ hours...

Any who...

All I need to know now is can I do this with vector 5.9 easily or should I use Debian?

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:19:49 am »

Yikes! That's quite an adventure.

Looks like you're quite pressed for time now. Anyways, samba can be set up and configured in a few minutes. You can share anything the OS can read.

Deep down tweaking of shares and permissions would take longer, but the basics are easy. I am familiar with the Debian setup, it's only a few apt-get commands away. I'll go test it out on VL 5.9 and see how it works there. Let me know if you want to give it a go.

Do you want a pure command line server or do you want X on it?
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 05:30:00 am »

I don't think I'm ready for just terminal...I have a need for graphical things...

I'm ready to go just kind of waiting for some advice, I was also reading a huge story about the origin of samba, and how it got its name, didn't help me much in figuring how to make it work Tongue but I love the stories of open source softwares.

If Debian is easy to do I'll go that way, if it can be done in vector, why not?  I'm cool with vector.  One thing I was reading and am not sure if its still applies if I run with say ext3 or ReiserFS am I limited as to the size of the shares, I was reading something about a 2gig limit?  I don't think this is still the case, though it may have been at one time...just a question.

ok well I'll set my drives up, and basically sit with a blank ready to be rocked box.

let me know how it goes Smiley

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 05:37:55 am »

what version of Debian are you using?

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 05:42:26 am »

Okay, I sent you personal message with info for contacting me directly.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 04:29:53 pm »

I'm back at this, the samba stuff is started, now I'm at the point where I need to make my hard drives into one.  I have an initial share setup, and its reading on my network...

I am looking to take the 4 320 gig hard drives I have setup, and make 1 set on the same controller a RAID1 on the other 2 drives a RAID0.

I'm really a fish out of water when it comes to disk management in linux, so whom ever wishes to take up the card of helping me out I'd appreciate it Cheesy

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:43 pm »

How about marking this thread as solved and start a new one in Hardware and Drivers for your RAID issues? Keeps thing tidy and it's more likely to draw the attention of those who know about that kind of setup.

One more tip: You mention above a 2 GB limit. That is true, if you mount with "smbfs". Using "cifs" solves that.

For anyone who might have been following this thread, a quick summary of what got done:
- Installed VL 5.9
- Used vasm to enable the samba server
- Created directories to share and set permissions
- Edited /etc/samba/smb.conf to define the shares
- Created samba users
- Restarted server
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:09:22 pm by nightflier » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: