VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 02:14:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio Aggravation  (Read 1862 times)
youngtomedison

« on: December 30, 2007, 06:35:55 pm »

I've already detailed my problems in recording with AUDACITY under VL.
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4876.msg34129#msg34129

I've also detailed my apparent problems with ALSA
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5025.msg33862#msg33862

Today I attacked each issue by downloading the tarball versions of each program, from their official non-Vector sites, compiling them from scratch, and reinstalling them.

Neither of these things helped.

I ran the benchmark test in Audacity. Here is what I got:

Using 57260 blocks of 293 samples each, for a total of 32.0 MB.
Preparing...
Performing 100 edits...
Cut: 99620 - 5310918
Paste: 10737278
Trial 0
Expected len 16777180, track len 10737278.
TEST FAILED!!!

Apparently, something else in the system is causing AUDACITY to malfunction when attempting to record from an analog source.

Playback seems to be OK for the most part.

What could be screwing things up?

I sent a message to the ALSA Project listserv. To date, no response whatsoever. Even with the holidays, you'd think someone would throw out his or her two cents' worth.

I really don''t want to go dual-boot (Linux and Windows), and have to deal with anti-virus, anti-spyware, defragmentation, the BSOD, ad nauseam, but I see no other way around this issue, which I've been dealing with, without success, for weeks.
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:30:21 am »

I do not have any hardware similar to your setup so I doubt that I can be of much help (feel free to ignore the following suggestions).

Could you provide the chipset model for your motherboard soundcard? (Some chipsets which provide combined audio/ethernet functionality make it difficult to disable sound without also disabling the ethernet).

Also, have you investigated the envy24control utility? (I believe it is for you M-Audio card).

Have you seen the comments at the bottom of this page pointing out some possible BIOS settings?

Finally, you may wish to see if you can record audio using MHwaveEdit. One of my 'puters records hideously using Audacity -- though the symptoms are different from your description -- yet MHwaveEdit records fine (I have yet to track down the Audacity problem).

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:46:37 am »

I've Had many problems with Audacity in Vector 5.9 . Still can not get it to Record, Won't even find the card on record.. will playback sometimes..  Audacity worked fine when I had Debian on the same machine.  I like Vector but there is denfinately something missing that causes Audacity to not recognize the sound card.  My card is Intel based and works fine with other sound card software but not Audacity.

So I'm at a stand still also.. have been following your problems as well if I come up with any solutions will post them here as well as on the bug posts for the Multimedia bounus disc.

HNY !

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
youngtomedison

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »

I do not have any hardware similar to your setup so I doubt that I can be of much help (feel free to ignore the following suggestions).

Could you provide the chipset model for your motherboard soundcard? (Some chipsets which provide combined audio/ethernet functionality make it difficult to disable sound without also disabling the ethernet).

Also, have you investigated the envy24control utility? (I believe it is for you M-Audio card).

Have you seen the comments at the bottom of this page pointing out some possible BIOS settings?

Finally, you may wish to see if you can record audio using MHwaveEdit. One of my 'puters records hideously using Audacity -- though the symptoms are different from your description -- yet MHwaveEdit records fine (I have yet to track down the Audacity problem).

This is not the motherboard sound card but an aftermarket one, the M-Audio Delta 410. It apparently uses the ICE 1712 chipset. The on-board sound card has been disabled in the BIOS.

Like the last respondent before this post, I found Audacity worked just fine with other distros. Vector Linux obviously has some major multimedia bugs in it.

I don't know if I really need to install new software or drivers. The card works fine with XMMS, MPlayer and VLC. Only AUDACITY is giving me problems. This seems to be a kernel-level issue, as I downloaded the source code for Audacity and compiled it, and re-installed it on my system, bypassing the VL repositories (my thought was that their install files for Audacity were corrupted).

As for those comments, they were obviously written by someone with a lot more hardware experience than I've got. I'd prefer not to experiment, especially since this problem seems to be peculiar to this one application.

As for MHWavedit, I'll check it out.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:04:32 pm »

I am sure not an audiophile.

I have several times googled for your problem.

My suggestions are guesses and if they miss
I apologize maybe enlighten me on my miss.

Look at this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-310810.html

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: