VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:08:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 5.9 LIVE CD beta1 released  (Read 23282 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 30, 2007, 10:23:02 pm »

The VectorLinux team is pleased to announce the release of VectorLinux 5.9 LIVE CD beta1 . This is the first Live release of 5.9. It is based on the just released 5.9 standard GOLD. The hard drive installer has been updated and works well. Includes Gparted for hard drive partitioning if wanting to make a permanent install. The live CD demonstrates all that is making the 5.9 Vector release famous like browser plugins, seamonkey, firefox and opera. The newest xfce-4 desktop, Abiword and Gnumeric, vasm and vl-hot. The latest wireless drivers and configuration tools, support for read and write to ntfs via fuse and ntfs-3g, and lots of fun and games.

you can get the iso here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-B1.iso
md5sum: 2e615af0c4677a54c46ea8d9c554e3f8  VL5.9-STD-LIVE-B1.iso

Please report bugs below

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:46:09 pm »

I have two optical drives on this computer. The boot system is seeking data on the empty drive (slaved DVD-ROM) for about 35 seconds before it seeks and finds data on the other drive (master CD-RW). If data were sought on the master drive first, it would be found, but for some reason the Linux-Live script seeks data on slave drive first, wasting 35 seconds.

The login dialog has problems. It seems the password and/or name for user is wrong. On top of that, the name of user is "Vl" which is hard to decipher. Could be VEE-one, VEE-eye, or VEE-el. Same problem for second character of password. Maybe it's obvious that the user and password are vee-el for VectorLinux, but when the password doesnt work, it's an exercise in futility to go through all the possible variations. Since there is a problem with user account, this makes root important, but the password for root isn't shown on the page. I guessed it was lower-case "vector".

I had to manually configure standard network connection after reaching Desktop. The prompt to configure X towards the end of installation was unexpected. 

Spontaneous shutdown after 50 minutes continuous operation of liveCD. Ejected empty DVD-ROM drive, powered off with tray still open. Try a PCLOS 2007 liveCD to see shutdown properly done. The tray should come out just before powering off, there should be a little message for user to remove CD then press Enter to shut down,(user presses Enter), after which the tray closes and then the computer immediately powers off.

The default wallpaper looks a lot like Stone Mountain in Georgia, USA.
http://rvforsaleguide.com/images/stone-mountain-picture-2.jpg

confirmed: cannot login to user account "Vl"

EDIT: I finally logged in user named "vl" with password "vector". Not sure why this failed before, maybe you get one try and then no-go ( a one-shot login). Also I cut the data seek in half (17 secs) by booting from the slave DVD-ROM.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:14:04 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:24:58 pm »

Finally got the time to download and burn the new beta.

Generally working well. A couple of things that don't work - if I attempt to start Vcpufreq, after entering the root password, I get a 'command not found' popup.

Looking at the loaded modules, this machine has both the e100 and eepro100 modules loaded. Looking at /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, the e100 module is blacklisted, but seems to have decided to load anyway. This is on an IBM Thinkpad T40, which has an Intel Pro100 built on the motherboard.

The double module load doesn't seem to have caused any problems, other than wasting a bit of memory. DHCP has got an IP and I'm entering this from the live CD.

I don't have anything to install it on at the moment, but I'll see if I can find something to install it on in the next few days.

paul.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »

I can't believe it!!!! Uelsk you did it again. Fantastic I am here in the live CD and connected to the Internet w/o me having done anything. Just great.

VectorLinux is now possibly the only slacky which works flawlessly with a savage graphic card and a Davicom eth card out of the box. Not even the mother slackware-12 can't do either one yet.

If this is not a great beginnign for the New Year nothing is.

Regards
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »

a few legitimate gripes in this review
http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/01/03/00/36/53-vectorlinux-5-9-nice-but-
gondes

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:00:04 am »

Can compiz be included on the next release ? Please ?  Grin
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:44:55 am »

Jedem Tierchen Recht getan
Ist eine Kunst die niemand kann.

To please every cat and hound
Is an art not yet found.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:17:53 am »

After booting doing "Full Auto Probe no Questions" X will not open. No screens.

Printing: Setting up the printer with VASMCC lets me print a test page, however, printing otherwise cannot start since rc.cups is not set to executable even if in services for level 2 and 4 cups is enabled. So I have first to manually set rc.cups to x and then do 'rc.cups start' before the printer can be accessed.
Or do I something wrong otherwise?
Unlike in the Beta and RC versions of VL-5.9 printers.conf was correctly configured with this live CD. I did not check this yet in the final standard version since I just copied printers.conf over from VL-5.8

On that login kdm screen one has the option to go to console. It does go there, however, not for long and it is back on the kdm screen. So what's the point? I personnally do not like and never use display managers.

When on booting the VectorLinux splash screen opens it sits for about 20 seconds and nothing happens. May be some indication could be put that it is working as blinking. I gave a live CD of VL5.8 to a chap and he aborted the installation thinking it had hung when that penguin was just sitting there doing nothing. On a slower system that might take even longer than 20 seconds.

Screensaver covers the entire screen not a portion as reported.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:18:58 am by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:18 pm »

I can' get cron to work. Commands put into crontab are nor executed. Cron is enabled for runlevel 4. cron status tells pid **** running.

I tried the bootparam changes=/dev/hdd1/VL59 and apparently nothing happens. Rebooting with from=/dev/hdd1/VL59 did not show that any of my changes made were safed. How can one make this to work?

It might be nice to have the extra bootparams shown by pressing F2 just as the others by pressing F1.

Rgerads
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:12:05 pm »

Try to add something to this thread.
Trying this live cd to see if I got Wifi working. Yes but...VASMCC de wifi-thingie asks for ndiswrapper and founds nothing. VLWifi in the menu does the job correctly, but I forgot my settings (WEP, WPA?? Oh, damn I feel stupid).

My other impressions:
The background was bleu with a glimpse of the background. When selecting in Desktop Preferences it appeared correctly. Nice background.

Is there a reason that VASMCC and VASM are included? (or is vasmcc a wrap around vasm?) Bit confusing for newcomers (or stupid guys like me).

All drives are detected.

Wbar is cool.
vcpufreq was not found.

My specs: Acer Asprire 5050 (AMD Turion 64, ATI, kind of new laptop)

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: