VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 02:24:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo processing  (Read 6694 times)
robertito

« on: December 31, 2007, 12:33:34 pm »

Among the various bits of software for handling jpeg files, is there anything that is equivalent to picassa (which I believe only exists in windoze versions).
I want to be able to process photos (remove red-eye, etc) and store them in albums like picassa does. Thanks....
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:35:44 pm »

how bout picasa for linux?
http://picasa.google.com/linux/
robertito

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:13:42 pm »

Yes, thanks, I'll keep a watch on the linux version, it seems to be a developing situation. I was not aware of it, because a search for picasa came up with a page that only mentioned windoze.
robertito

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:01 am »

It turns out that picasa requires Wine. I have another set-up using Kubuntu and Wine appears in its repository, so I downloaded it and picasa, immediately it set itself up and located my photos, overall it works well. No such luck with Vector: Wine isn't in the repository but I located it and downloaded it as a tgz file. Now I don't know what to do with it. I feel picasa may be a dead end on Vector, but it would be interesting to know whether there is anyone out there using it, and if so, how to set it up...

Thanks...
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 03:02:35 am »

Right Click on the tgz > Install Package in the context menu. Another choice is open a terminal, login as root and issue installpkg <name_of_the_pkg>.tgz
The 5.9 repo is still young, wine will be there surely.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:04:42 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 03:05:53 am »

The 5.9 repo is still young, wine will be there surely.

crux has an up to date wine port. You can install it through vpackager

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:25:36 am »

I've been working on a wine package off and on (holiday slowed me down).  Not quite ready as I'm experiencing weird things.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:47:11 am »

There is also a red-eye removal plugin for The GIMP if you (or anyone else) is interested. It works pretty well.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:12:02 am »

It turns out that picasa requires Wine. I have another set-up using Kubuntu and Wine appears in its repository, so I downloaded it and picasa, immediately it set itself up and located my photos, overall it works well. No such luck with Vector: Wine isn't in the repository but I located it and downloaded it as a tgz file. Now I don't know what to do with it. I feel picasa may be a dead end on Vector, but it would be interesting to know whether there is anyone out there using it, and if so, how to set it up...

Thanks...
the picasa linux package from google comes with wine. I just downloaded it and it installed without problems.
robertito

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:27:59 am »

Thanks uelsk8s, that's very interesting ! I didn't realise picasa was shipping it's own Wine, and I've now got that. Hopefully I've got the correct version of picasa on my desktop, but I can't get past the Warning that the prog has no description
Thanks....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:35:54 pm by robertito » Logged
robertito

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 01:51:59 am »

I've pretty much given up trying to install picasa on Vector, which is a pity as it was so easy to set up on Kubuntu.
I love Vector for its speed and slight quirkiness,  but once you get bogged down in .tgz, .tlz, .tbz, or .tar you need to know a lot more than I do. However, any more help with picasa would be very welcome....I've got Wine installed (I think), but beyond that....
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 02:48:59 am »

I've pretty much given up trying to install picasa on Vector, which is a pity as it was so easy to set up on Kubuntu.
I love Vector for its speed and slight quirkiness,  but once you get bogged down in .tgz, .tlz, .tbz, or .tar you need to know a lot more than I do. However, any more help with picasa would be very welcome....I've got Wine installed (I think), but beyond that....

It's pretty simple. I got the stable version of Picasa (2.2) here

http://dl.google.com/linux/standalone/picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.bin

Then I ran 'sh picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.bin' and accepted the default options.

Picasa then ran with /opt/picasa/bin/picasa.

robertito

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 03:33:08 am »

OK, so I download the binary file and it appears in my desktop. Then I go to "run program" and tick 'run in terminal' and type in the sh...thingy, click "run", there's a flash and nothing else happens, no options or anything, so I'm still stuck....
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 04:08:12 am »

Did you download the file to your desktop? That's most likely the problem.

robertito

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 04:09:53 am »

Yes, I did. So where am I supposed to download it to ?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: