VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:14:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.9 Hard Disk Detection on old laptop  (Read 2128 times)
wph

« on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:00 am »

Hi, I'm trying to install vl 5.9 on a toshiba 1550 cds. When I boot of the vl 5.9 std cd, it starts up OK, but when beginning to install it comes up with a message that it can't find the hard disk. Now, the hard idsk is definitely operational as I was able to boot off it with the o/s that was already on it. Is there some problem with the detection in the new vl version?

Thanks for any help
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:40 am »

do your PC/laptop using IDE or SATA HDD?
what is the error show?
wph

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:30:33 pm »

after the opening prompt, linux boots off the cd, and then comes up with the confirmation to begin installation. I press [Enter] and get a dialog box:

Fatal Error
Excuse me I cannot find any hard disk for installation. Maybe you are using a new technology my author didn't have.  etc.

Pressing enter again I get the console prompt.

I tried dmesg but didn't really know what detail to look for. The only ide reference was that it was assuming a 33MHz system bus.  It also seemed to pol for other drivers eg. raid & seagate st0x/  etc. & wd-700

now, I reinstalled vl 5.8 and it installed without a hitch (except I had to specify the vesa driver, but  that's no biggie).

on another note, I tried installing vl 5.9 on a small toshiba 4000 something. Seemed to go OK, except it hung on detecting the legacy opl3a sound chip.

Thanks if you can give me any help. I got vl 5.9 running on a virtual machine and it looks brilliant.
wph

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:37:53 pm »

I should add also that I grabbed this from a spec. sheet for a toshiba 1555cds (mine is a 1550 but that was all i could find - it looks consistent).

ALL-IN-ONE DESIGN
HDD
Removable HDD (2.5” Enhanced IDE) 4.3 billion bytes (13msec) – Service Removable
Certification SMART Height 8.45mm Buffer 512KB
Burst Data Transfer Rate Ultra DMA33 Mode2 (33.3MB/sec), Multiword DMA mode 2 (16.6MB/sec),
PIO Mode 4 (16.7MB/sec)
FDD (3.5” 1.44MB; 12.7mm high) Yes
Simultaneous FDD & CD-ROM Support Yes: two independent internal units

when i drop into the console after the setup message appears, i try 'probedisk'  and nothing is returned. I tried editing out the check in the script, the setup continued and then declared that it couldn't find a cdrom.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:00:17 pm by wph » Logged
wph

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:02:25 pm »

what kernels are available for booting with in 5.9?

I also tried 5.9 live b1   which fell over with a fatal error (a message something along the lines of 'this should never happen').
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: