VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 03:32:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Technology trends in 2008 (BBC)  (Read 4072 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:45:36 pm »

I was there. It was epic.

ROFL, ROFL, ROFL!!
Please stop or I'll burst out laughing. You are on fire.

For serious. Read my signature.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 03:51:01 pm »

Well, I must say the guards defending us from Vikings have seem to be less alert lately. I always took that as a sign the world was getting safer...

... and we leave the city gate open all night these days, anyone could come in Shocked

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:53:28 pm by Freston » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »

Unfortunately, we still live in an 'økstid' and 'sverdtid' because of various kinds of religious nuts, except these days the 'øks' is a machine gun and the 'sverd' is a rocket launcher. I understand the Netherlands has some problems with that... Undecided

Hell, I'd be content with a 'vargtid', sometimes I like dogs more than people...

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 04:16:06 pm »

There is a time to axe and there is a time to sword ;-)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 05:17:29 pm »

There is a time to axe and there is a time to sword ;-)

That's about the size of it, as we say here in America. Undecided

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 10:08:11 pm »

Anyone noticed how grim the news are these days?...
(is the world getting worse or was I oblivious before?)

It's always been bad. We just didn't hear about it as much or as quickly.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 11:03:13 pm »

Sure... There's the Middle Ages, and certainly before. Wasn't there something about Homo Sapiens Sapiens wiping the Australopitecus out of the face of the Earth, even though they might have been Homo Sapiens as well?

And you cannot beat the two world wars (including the two atomic bombs).

I meant in the last, say, 20 or 30 years....
Given the problems with natural resources, global warming, and some crazy wild capitalism, I fear that we're heading somewhere not good.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:51 pm »

And still about (consumer-level) technology in 2008, a toy/gadget thing that should be interesting not only for computer geeks, but also to people into Artificial Intelligence and Psychology.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 08:38:15 am »

Sure... There's the Middle Ages, and certainly before. Wasn't there something about Homo Sapiens Sapiens wiping the Australopitecus out of the face of the Earth, even though they might have been Homo Sapiens as well?

Australopithecus afarensis, the first primitive hominid species, were long dead before then. You may have Neanderthals in mind. Well, no one knows quite what killed off Neanderthals, but it's not because they were dumb. There is plenty of archaeological evidence indicating that Neanderthals wielded spears and bows, practiced funeral rituals and there is even very strong evidence that a bone found in a Neanderthal cave with a series of holes arranged in a diatonic scale was indeed a flute.

I meant in the last, say, 20 or 30 years....
Given the problems with natural resources, global warming, and some crazy wild capitalism, I fear that we're heading somewhere not good.

The capacity to destroy has certainly increased. I don't know whether greed has really increased, but the ability to act on it has.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 09:08:23 am »

You may have Neanderthals in mind.

Of course, silly me, I meant the Neanderthals.
Or perhaps, the Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis, if they belonged to the same species as us...

Which, given the biological basis of language, gives rise to the interesting possibility that they had it. And, I suppose, that the Sapiens Sapiens and the Neanderthals could cross and have fertile descendents.

Which would amount to a big genocide between humans if indeed the Sapiens Sapiens kicked their butts.

I don't have a clue where that research stands these days... it's been quite a few years since I first heard that hypothesis.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 09:33:38 am »

You may have Neanderthals in mind.

Which, given the biological basis of language, gives rise to the interesting possibility that they had it. And, I suppose, that the Sapiens Sapiens and the Neanderthals could cross and have fertile descendents.

I have very little doubt about whether they possessed language. It is virtually certain given the hard evidence we have on them. If they could understand the concept of an 'octave', which is readily apparent, then they most likely spoke (at least) as well as we do today.

I don't know whether Cro Magnon and Neanderthals could crossbreed but I somehow doubt they would want to.  But maybe their superior intellect appealed to Cro Magnon women and the Cro Magnon men killed them all out of jealousy? Smiley

Anyway, here's a how the bear bone flute would have sounded. Not sure which genres were popular back then, but I can say for certain that a 55,000 year old design still sounds way better than bands like the Violent Femmes and Bright Eyes do today. Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: