Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: What is the difference between initrd.img and initrd.new ?  (Read 2734 times)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
What is the difference between initrd.img and initrd.new ?
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:45:49 pm »
I am re-mastering VL5.9 Gold for our little computer recycling-donation charity. We usually simplify the VL installer so we can install the system on machines much quicker (automating creation of users, timezones, etc....). In the past I did this by unpacking and mounting initrd.img . I note that on the VL5.9 Gold CD there is also a file initrd.new. Unpacking and mounting this shows me this seems to be a minimal busybox initrd with no installer components. Or am I missing something??? I believe I ignored that file in VL5.8 Gold.

Can I safely ignore what is in initrd.new when I edit the /sbin install components? If so, I assume I could even delete initrd.new off the ISO ?

Any assistance greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:49:05 pm by lagagnon »
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: What is the difference between initrd.img and initrd.new ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:46:46 pm »
initrd.new is a new installer/initrd i was trying to put together to add new filesystems and such.
I never did get it finished satisfactorily. It seems our scripts wont work 100% with the new tools there.
you can safely delete it.