Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: What is the difference between initrd.img and ?  (Read 2818 times)

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
What is the difference between initrd.img and ?
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:45:49 pm »

I am re-mastering VL5.9 Gold for our little computer recycling-donation charity. We usually simplify the VL installer so we can install the system on machines much quicker (automating creation of users, timezones, etc....). In the past I did this by unpacking and mounting initrd.img . I note that on the VL5.9 Gold CD there is also a file Unpacking and mounting this shows me this seems to be a minimal busybox initrd with no installer components. Or am I missing something??? I believe I ignored that file in VL5.8 Gold.

Can I safely ignore what is in when I edit the /sbin install components? If so, I assume I could even delete off the ISO ?

Any assistance greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:49:05 pm by lagagnon »
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: What is the difference between initrd.img and ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:46:46 pm » is a new installer/initrd i was trying to put together to add new filesystems and such.
I never did get it finished satisfactorily. It seems our scripts wont work 100% with the new tools there.
you can safely delete it.