VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 03:54:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: LIVE 5.9 Install failure  (Read 3450 times)
castalla2007

« on: January 02, 2008, 03:17:11 am »

I'm installing latest live cd - the graphical installer sets up the 3 recommended partitions, adds users, then the disk shows much activity. Finally the system reboots.  It fails to reload with a static cursor and again disk activity.  Nothing else.  Help!
kr4ey

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:17:44 am »

I had this problem trying to install the Live version. During install screen goes blank and reboots. Ended up installing the Gold version. Had no problems with Gold version install.

I think Vector Std. is a keeper, nice and fast on my Pentium 3. I'm a refuge from SUSE, Fedora, Slackware among all the multitude of others I have tried.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:04:07 am »

sounds like it could be the lilo installation that failed.  Did you happen to have grub loaded prior to installing LIVE 5.9?

You should be able to use the livecd to boot from your hard drive; you'll just need to indicate the root partition sometime during the cd boot process when it prompts you (boot:).  Once you've booted from your hard drive you could try installing lilo again by issuing this command as root: lilo -v  Be sure to pay attention to any errors; warnings are generally okay but errors mean you need to fix something before rebooting.

HTH!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:06:11 am by newtor » Logged
castalla2007

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried the GOLD also.  Same end result.  Static cursor and lots of disk activity.

No grub loaded.  Completely clean IDE disk.

I've tried every possible combination I can think of.  I tried to install to a scsi disk but got message saying it diidn't know about the technology.

At the moment I ended up installing mepis (no problems - nice installer!).

Think the vector installer needs a lot more work.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »

The downside to our distro is the small number users and, conversely, the (relatively) small amount of unique hardware it gets tested on.  Because we have such a small pool of hardware to test from we cannot squash the bugs for hardware that's never been testing with VL.  It's great (for VL devs) when a new user comes along with new, un-tested hardware and encounters a problem because they can work to fix our distro for that specific hardware which in turn helps numerous people with the same hardware; unfortunately, it comes at the cost of the user having a non-ideal experience with VL.  On the flip side, if you're willing to try some of their suggestions, you will get personalized attention from the devs to fix the problem.  It's kind of a "help us help you which will help everyone" scenario.

The VL installer is certainly nothing to write home about, but it does the job and does it well.  There is talk about incorporating a graphical installer which will look prettier than ncurses, but it's down the road a little bit.

So if you're willing to try some suggestions from the devs to fix the installation problem I'm sure they're willing to help.  Just shout.

Cheers!
castalla2007

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:12:25 pm »

Thanks again.

Okay, I'll come clean.  I'm trying to install onto a VMware virtual disk - 16 GB designated as IDE.

Now, I've been able to install a lot of distros to this same config. without any problems.

So, can we start again?   What extra info do you need?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:26:29 pm »

That changes things a little.

There is a known issue with installing VL in virtual machines and it boils down to a couple added steps.  Specifically, when asked to do the video (X) setup (x-server, xorg, whatever) you simply need to skip that part.  Upon completion of the VL installation you need to boot into text user interface (TUI) mode (don't worry, this will only be temporary).  Once you're logged in at the command prompt, switch to root, and replace the default xorg.conf with the vesa-specific xorg.conf.  I've provided an example below of moving the original xorg.conf to a backup and then moving the vesa xorg to the current.  Once you've made these changes you should be able to reboot and access the GUI login, X, and everything GUI-related.  BTW, I'm not certain about the path to xorg.conf so you man need to adjust the path in the examples below.

root:# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-original
root:# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After this, reboot and try logging into the normal mode (or GUI) mode.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:30:53 pm by newtor » Logged
castalla2007

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:45:30 pm »

Okay!  I'll give it a try.  Redownloading 5.9 at the moment - previous one got trashed!

Back later.
castalla2007

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:04:37 pm »

Just had a thought.  I have mepis running in vmware.  Could I do a Direct ISO on a Linux Host ?  Would this delete the mepis installation?  Mepis is running with vesa.  Would I still have to carry out the steps you outlined above?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 04:16:24 pm »

Just had a thought.  I have mepis running in vmware.  Could I do a Direct ISO on a Linux Host ?  Would this delete the mepis installation?  Mepis is running with vesa.  Would I still have to carry out the steps you outlined above?
You've just stepped out of my range of (comfortable) knowledge Cheesy.  I'd imagine that with "a special tough" you can accomplish what you're asking but I do not yet have THAT touch.  If done correctly and carefully it should not affect your mepis installation, however you would still need to do that couple of steps I outlined.  The steps are actually very simple; skip a step of installation, run a couple commands from the shell, and reboot.

Someone else with more knowledge on direct iso installation should be able to help more than I can in this regard.

Good luck - sounds like a fun thing to try playing with.  At least it's all virtualized and if you lose something you don't lose much.

Cheers!
castalla2007

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »

Yes, the virtual route is very useful.  I started out trying only live distros and had real problems trying to get wifi working (worst experience was with ubuntu ... and very unhelpful forum people, I'm sorry to say).  So, I figured out vmware might get me online via wifi.  It did,  And slowly I'm getting some good experience trying out linux.  I'm still reluctant to dump MS, I'm afraid to say!

I'll go with your original suggestion.  Back later - no doubt with a request for more help.

Thanks a lot.
castalla2007

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:15:52 pm »

Tried the 5.9 install iso again.  Same outcome.  The only choices I get are:

Keymap
Partition
... reboot

the system tries to go but only static cursor and intermittent disk activity

To reiterate ... the install only gets through section 3 of the install guide.
It doesn't start section 4.

Help! 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:28:42 am by castalla2007 » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 08:55:16 am »

From what I understand, you're only getting to the first reboot after partitioning; correct?  If that's correct then you should be able to go ahead and do the install (I think it's called, "Install...bring it on", or some such thing).  Just boot up with the cd again and skip ahead to the "Install...bring it on" option.  During this process you'll eventually get to the choice to setup your video card.  At this point you can try picking the provided "vesa" option, or exit/skip the step and do what I've mentioned earlier.  Let us know of any other pitfalls you get into and we'll gladly help you out.

To get to the installtion process, boot from cd and click on: Start>Install and begin with "Swap" option.  You'll pick your swap partition, then your root (/) partition, and any others you may have set up (you may only have the 2; swap and /).  You'll choose the filesystem for root (reiserfs is a good choice).  You'll pick which packages you want to install.  You'll select where to install lilo (mbr is a good choice since you're using a virtual machine).  After this you'll get into names, network, audio, video, users, and a few others.  Default choices are generally good choices unless you know otherwise; except for the video in your case (you'll want either vesa or skip).

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:02:31 am by newtor » Logged
castalla2007

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 03:00:56 pm »

A short update:

Part A

What happens: linux starts and goes to install screen, I choose fdisk to set up partitions, then write them.  The choice I get is to reboot to mount partitions, this starts and when the reboot takes place then I get the static cursor.  That's as far as I can go.  I have to exit vmware to shut down the machine.  Restarting vector in vmware then just gives the static cursor.

In the fdisk routine should I set up the 3 partitions with type (eg, linux swap, bootable, etc.)?  Or do I just set up 3 plain linux partitions without any types, etc. ?

Part B

I shortcut the vector install and got a vmware image - so I could at least try out vector.  I like it BUT how do I change the toolbar colours?  The image has this set to almost black and it's almost impossible to see some icon items.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:06:55 pm »

castalla2007,
after you make the partitions you have 3 choices 1 of which is return to the installer.

if you reboot you need to go into the vmware bios and set it to boot from cdrom it is set to only do it once.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: