VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [Completed!] Server Migration In Progress  (Read 1053 times)

sqisteve

• Administrator
  • VL Services Hosting Admin
    • SQI, Inc.
[Completed!] Server Migration In Progress
« on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:01 pm »

Hi Folks,
I know it has been a long time since I've posted directly to the forum and I wanted to keep everyone up to date on a a server move we are doing at SQI. For those that don't know, SQI hosts the Vector Linux support site and forum and I've always had a fun time helping out! =)

The support VM for vector.ecosq.com (ticketing, paid support, KnowledgeDex searching, etc) was successfully moved over. I still have the vectorlinux.com website and this forum to move over. Unfortunately, KnowledgeDex (the search used in the top right of these pages) will not include forum posts until the migration is complete, which should be within the next day. Until then, the search tab on the top left should work just fine for forum posts.

Once the migration is complete, I hope most will notice a significant performance boost. We here at SQI apologize for the inconvenience during the migration, and hope you will bear with us as we move services.

Sincerely,
S Leo Tindle
Chief Integration Architect
SQI, Inc.

UPDATE 4/21: The Vector Linux website is now moved over as well. I am actively working on the forum, but may not be moved over until tomorrow morning - Leo

UPDATE 4/22: OK... So... SMF 1.1.x does not support PHP 5.5.x and the VMs we use for all of our clients and services only have PHP 5.5 available. Installing 5.3 from source didn't work after many tries using many different tutorials. And I really love how no errors will show whatsoever even when all error reporting options are enabled in all the php.ini files... just blank pages. Really helpful. Makes me love PHP ever so much more.

I eventually installed Ubuntu 12.04 that has PHP 5.3 and installed all required software and here we are. I will need to upgrade the forum to the latest version of SMF (though from what I've read, it still doesn't like PHP 5.5, but will at least work) so it is in line with the rest of our clients. Because of the amount of time it took, I now don't have time to update our search indexing right now so search will need to be performed using the standard SMF search option. I will get back to it as soon as I finish migrating the rest of our services.

Again, I do apologize for the down time and inconvenience. If anyone notices forum functions not working (other than the search in the top right), please reply to this topic. -Leo

UPDATE 4/24 11:35 Pacific: YAY! After a bit of trial and error on a clone of the forum, I was finally able to get SMF upgraded properly to 2.0.9, the latest stable version. My next step will be to move this to the main public Vector VM with PHP 5.5, but will be using a clone of the forum to minimize downtime. After that point, I should be able to re-enable KnowledgeDex searching so results from support tickets and the wiki will also show. -Leo

UPDATE 4/28 13:19 Pacific: The forum is now running on the intended VM alongside the VL website and I can now work on getting the indexing working again. -Leo

UPDATE 4/28 14:25 Pacific: Indexing is working again and the quick search on the top right now uses KnowledgeDex so results will cover other services. AFIACT, this migration is now complete! =) -Leo
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:28:15 pm by sqisteve »
S. Leo Tindle, Chief Integration Architect, SQI, Inc | GitHub: SQI, Inc, Leonexis (personal)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
Re: Server Migration In Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:11 pm »

Do you do web hosting for others? I am a linux only shop and am trying to set up a wordpress site. I am walking distance from your Bell St. offices.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:58:47 am »

Thanks for all your help Steve.

sqisteve

• Administrator
    • SQI, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »

Do you do web hosting for others? I am a linux only shop and am trying to set up a wordpress site. I am walking distance from your Bell St. offices.

Sadly, normal web hosting is a bit beyond our scope. We primarily deal with knowledge management and custom web applications like Supplier Discovery, an application helping manufactures find local job shops that match their needs.

If you are interested in getting a Wordpress site up quickly, I would recommend starting a VM on Digital Ocean. They have a pre-made image just for setting up a Wordpress site. Very easy and fast. DO is also the provider we are moving to. If you are interested, the link above will get you $10 in credit when you sign up (which is about two months with their 512mb RAM VMs). Full disclosure, the above link is a referral link :P, but feel free to go to www.digitalocean.com directly if you like =)

Sincerely,
S Leo Tindle
SQI, Inc.

S. Leo Tindle, Chief Integration Architect, SQI, Inc | GitHub: SQI, Inc, Leonexis (personal)

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:40:03 am »

I second the Digital Ocean recommendation. They're very proactive with issues. I tend to contact companies that show up in my mod_security logs and Digital Ocean is one of the very few who not only respond back, but are quick to nail any account on their servers that are up to nefarious things.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »

Thanks guys.  I signed up using Steve's link.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:10 am »

Nice work Steve, thanks a lot!
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

sqisteve

• Administrator
    • SQI, Inc.
Re: [Completed!] Server Migration In Progress
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 02:31:16 pm »

Nice work Steve, thanks a lot!
Thanks for all your help Steve.

Thanks to everyone for their support. It's been a pleasure working with you all! =)

Sincerely,
S Leo Tindle
SQI, Inc.