VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:38:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux is too hard  (Read 2983 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:03 am »

Aside there is no reason to clarify something like that, I think you can't be platonic and non-homosexual  Cheesy
Welcome back BlueMage, we missed you  so much Kiss

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 12:05:30 am »

When I changed from DOS to Linux 10 years ago I singe-handedly installed RedHat-5.2 w/o any help. I then went into a book store and grapped 2 books they had on Linux, Linux in 24 hours and Discover Linux. Went thru them page by page. Later I puchased Running Linux and Linux in a Nutshell by O'Reilly and went on a list linux-newbie@vger-kernel.org. That was another school for me.

Yes it might take some efforts to learn Linux compared to Windows if one really wants to and I think it is worth all the while. However, the new distros like VL-5.8 are so easy to install and run that I would almost make a bet that a grandmother would be up and running using it long before any Windows. I can't make the test since I would have to use my wife and I have no Windows anywhere.

And BTW I am still learning the ropes of Linux.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 02:49:46 am »

And of course it shouldn't be forgotten that MS Windows takes some learning to - having worked with complete computer novices I have to say that Linux is as easy to learn to use, at least for standard applications, as is MS Windows.  Indeed if you are using gslapt or similar for installing applications its easier!  The problems come when trying to use it in the same way as MS Windows - linux isn't a Windows clone and it will do some things differently.  For example the file system, to begin with windows users can just treat the home directory like they would my documents in Windows, most casual users tend not to look further than that anyway - its when you become more adventurous that you start to see the differences.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: